Effective indoor range training/practice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have some free time tomorrow (actually today now) and really wanting to shoot. With the bitter cold I thought I'd head to an indoor range. I've shot at public and/or indoor ranges less than a dozen times in my life and shoot mostly on my own property.

I've shot enough indoor to know the limitations of tactics, positions, and distance. Beyond sight alignment and trigger control, What advice to you have for making an indoor practice session more effective for both handgun and carbine?

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking for handgun drills, at H&H I usually get one of the large targets that has 5 bulls on it. I practice transition, shooting one round at each bull, then maybe 2 at each, or make up drills that include reloading during the transitions. There's enough room at the shooting station to practice a little side movement too. They don't want you to draw from holster, but I start with the gun pointing downrange at the hip, point 2 in a 4 point draw, then side step and present, then start what ever drill I'm doing.

Sometimes I work on first shot, sometimes one handed, all this at various distances.

I can usually find plenty to work on that needs improvement.

I usually spend a few rounds just on basic marksmanship; slow and steady.

Latest posts

Top Bottom