Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use them for packaging stuff for shipment.
Halloween's coming up. Open eggs with small nail on each end, blow out egg, wash shell in 'n out, let dry, then fill with colored confetti, tape holes shut, then decorate outside of shell.
Put 'confetti eggs' back into cartons and sell for x-$'s per carton to kids. They love to throw them at each other and you love the extra cash 😁

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in town. We bought a metal coop from Tractor Supply and put it on the side of our house (inside our privacy fence), then built a PVC enclosure with garden netting for a roof to keep hawks out. We have a 10-15’ pvc run coming off of that, but they’ve already decimated the grass in the run. Lately I’ve been letting them just free range our backyard.
I made drawings to build a 6' x 24' coop like the Carolina coops on YouTube. That should be large enough for 4 hens and a rooster to stay in. My back yard is sloped so i decided to build a cinder block base to level things but it's been kicking my ass because i didn't pour the footer perfectly level. I should be able to start on the coop next week but the hens already dropped a few eggs in their temporary pen.
I've seen some people use sand in their run like a big litter box. I know they like to dig though. I plan on using a tall hemp layer for the hen house.

Last edited:

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know what might be causing the issue on top of my chickens beak? We use a nipple waterer. Also, she has a metal coop and I thought it might be from her sticking her beak through it repeatedly, but I don’t know why she would be doing that.
46249E61-C701-46DB-8E85-2CB5F52EDB22.jpeg

Last edited:

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy my eggs from a boy that lives up the road from me, that's how he makes his pocket money. No shortage of eggs from my supplier 😝
I give him $4 a dozen for his eggs(My choice). He sells them for $3.50 but I figure with the cost of everything going up it's well worth it. Besides you can have those sickly looking eggs in the store.
I have been buying eggs from the people for 20 years now, and they deliver.👍🏻

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Individual at work said they paid 4 bucks for eggs, I didn't ask the count . I did say I just paid $17.27 for a bag of feed and that our fresh eggs if sold would be $8 a dozen. We don't sell eggs though, consumed by something or someone here and I'll give away when I deem fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom