Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Signs are going up in grocery stores in areas of the country of an egg shortage because of avian flu. Combine that with a shortage of feed and things could get bad.

If you have chickens you might want to learn how to water glass or some other form of preserving eggs.

View attachment 267624
The primary reason for the egg shortage is manufactured, the largest layer in the country lost 6 million birds to the flu last year and they only replaced them with 2 million birds. Like everyone else they don’t want to keep prices low they want to find that fine line (kind of like OPEC) they are doing it with most everything.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Quart size carton of Egg Beaters was $6.00-ish Plus this morning at Crest.

Due to Doc gripin' at me, I use 1 or 2 real eggs, and then a good splash of the Yellow (don't like the sight of the White) Egg Beaters

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You folks with to many eggs, either sell them or give them away. You can always donate to your local food bank.

Nope. Eggs keep at room temp for a LONG time. Plus if need need to you can waterglass them (I think that's the right term) and they will be good for months and months. If it comes down to it that might be the only regular source of protein that is affordable. No sense in giving it away ...

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have kept unwashed eggs over winter in cartons and a refrigerator without a single loss. i have kept salt packed unwashed eggs for two years without any loss either. note that there is a degree of dehydration that occurs but the eggs are fine. i didn't test for nutrient loss. just spoilage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom