Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can feed your chickens alfalfa hay as a way to cheapen the cost of feeding. you can also plant some winter pea,ryegrass or something else also. or if you want get a hammer mill and just make your own.
I bought a flour mill from here a few years back. Haven't seen the need for it yet but we have it should the need arise.
Might even have some berries to go with it.😁

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep feed is getting out of sight. I decreased my chicken flock from about 30 to 11. Just getting too expensive to share eggs with neighbors, etc and didn't want to get into selling. I also have been raising goats for 30+ years. Their feed and hay has doubled in the past 6 months.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, what does the level of floating mean?
all the floating means is your egg isn't fresh. as the egg dehydrates the air space gets bigger and the white just kinda gets sticky. all you need to do is add a little water to the egg as you use it and it will be fine. i was taught to always break the eggs into a separate bowl just in case you had a bad egg and then dump the egg into the food. usually a bad egg will be real light and rattle just a little. a floating egg would be fine to scramble or bake with but wouldn't be as nice for sunny side up.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all the floating means is your egg isn't fresh. as the egg dehydrates the air space gets bigger and the white just kinda gets sticky. all you need to do is add a little water to the egg as you use it and it will be fine. i was taught to always break the eggs into a separate bowl just in case you had a bad egg and then dump the egg into the food. usually a bad egg will be real light and rattle just a little. a floating egg would be fine to scramble or bake with but wouldn't be as nice for sunny side up.
I don't know about eggs floating or sinking but the Cajun chef Justin Wilson said to break each egg and put it in a bowl or coffee cup before adding to into the recipe to avoid a nasty surprise.
Ahh Gah-Rone-Tee!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s what we do. Friends are beginning to shy away when they see us much like they do during zucchini season.
Exactly.
Back in the 80's I was running beagles to hunt rabbits. We had no problem getting a limit a day when we went out with lots of friends and relatives saying they wanted some.
We skinned, cleaned and brought the quartered rabbits to them. All they had to do was put them in the freezer.
We were so proficient that when pulling up to homes of friends and relatives that wanted them at the end of the season that we would see curtains get shut and doorbells not answered.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 50 lb bag of 15% layer pellets is at $17. The 18% higher yet, not SO long ago it was $8 a bag. These prices are small town ok, give thought to what they are elsewhere. I wonder how long before a dozen is $20 and feed is $40 a bag.
The public won't eat eggs and the supply/demand will kick in.
Eggs are not an essential part of human living.
Yes, they are part of a lot of recipes, but the world can live without them if necessary.
We rarely use eggs in our diet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom