Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it odd that there is a "bird flu" outbreak that requires the killing of millions of chickens and turkeys, at a time when food prices are at all time highs due to inflation, a time when more folks are buying more chicken to eat as well as eggs...

Ya thats some pretty odd timing IMO.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it odd that there is a "bird flu" outbreak that requires the killing of millions of chickens and turkeys, at a time when food prices are at all time highs due to inflation, a time when more folks are buying more chicken to eat as well as eggs...

I think the problem is in the big egg factories, not the person with a few chickens.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aldi had been $1.09 a doz, for 4 months.
Monday, they went to $2.27.

Wally was $2.89 a dozen, in the 5 doz pack.
About a year ago Aldi's eggs were 88 cents per dozen. I was stunned because I'd not seen that low a price in years, and the other grocers were much higher than 88 cents.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
large eggs yesterday at Wally World $4.11. Ridiculous, they were $2.12 a dozen just a few weeks ago and that was too much. Not paying it, That cuts into me Ammo stash money. :7)
Lucky my neighbor sells them for 2 dollars a dozen and Waaay better orange stand up tall yolk brown eggs too. No comparison really to those cold stored runny, pale yellow yolk eggs from starved chickens.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Signs are going up in grocery stores in areas of the country of an egg shortage because of avian flu. Combine that with a shortage of feed and things could get bad.

If you have chickens you might want to learn how to water glass or some other form of preserving eggs.

View attachment 267624
1 oz of pickling or hydrated lime per quart of water.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

LOL, it's coincidence don't ya know. Along with the 13-14 major fires affecting food production.

Latest posts

Top Bottom