Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepare for more of this, more than a dozen food processing plants of different types have been taken out by airplane crashes (2), fires and explosions. The response has been "Nothing to see here, be on your way."
The train has only just departed the "Terminal", hang on.
Not to mention the random airplane crash yesterday into a food processing plant. Weird..

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it odd that there is a "bird flu" outbreak that requires the killing of millions of chickens and turkeys, at a time when food prices are at all time highs due to inflation, a time when more folks are buying more chicken to eat as well as eggs...

Ya thats some pretty odd timing IMO.

It’s not odd, it happens frequently. I can’t count the times in the last few years that I’ve read about chickens or turkeys being sealed in their barns and gassed to death.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those of us with chickens likely have $3 a dozen in producing eggs. Feed is $16 a 50 lb bag now and it being a grain product we might consider that cheap by fall.

Find a grocery store in your area and ask them if you can have their tossed out produce. My chickens' pellet consumption has dropped off to almost nothing, and they are getting a wider array of fruits and vegetables than I do. Best of all -- they will not lose their fresh produce in winter. They can have all the goodness they want all year long.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those of us with chickens likely have $3 a dozen in producing eggs. Feed is $16 a 50 lb bag now and it being a grain product we might consider that cheap by fall.
Where do you get your chicken feed? (Not being snarky, just gathering info.)

FWIW, there’s a house on 120th in SE Norman, or maybe Slaughterville, that has had a sign up for a long time advertising $3/dozen “farm fresh eggs.”

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so ... Also ... Check out salted eggs. I work for a Vietnamese family and they salt their eggs. I'm fixing to do a dozen and set them up for a month. It's not for long-term preservation, but just another way to keep and eat them.

https://www.cookingwithnart.com/how-to-make-salted-eggs/
And here's the first recipe I'm gonna try with them, I think -- if I don't just whip up some wilted spinach real quick. I LOVE spinach and soft boiled eggs.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/crispy-fried-pumpkin-salted-egg-yolk/

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sprouts Grocery (I like them a lot) has their store brand cage free eggs, one dozen @ $2.79 and their 18-count @ $3.99

That's not too bad in todays market.

I need to get over to Costco for a few things and I'll check egg prices while I'm there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom