Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's because some jackwagon will have 50 chickens with a dozen roosters that will start crowing right when a night shift worker is trying to get some sleep 100' away from their bedroom in a residential neighborhood.
There is a point in time when the right to a nights sleep after a tough 12 hour shift deserves some quiet time vs a desire for some chickens.
We grew up just like that with my dad being the shift worker.
The roosters slowly passed away from unknown causes along with all the new ones that came along for additional unknown reasons.
I worked midnight turn for about 16 years.

(Most of the time) After work I stayed up all day after work and went to bed in the afternoon! You know...... Like a normal schedule. (Work, play then sleep)

Even my own alarm clock had trouble waking me up!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only 1 rooster needed, if you want to hatch eggs. Of you are just looking at egg production, no rooster necessary.

I worked rotating shift. Had 25 hens and 1 rooster. Rarely heard him crow, regardless of what I was working.

Having a number of young roosters (raising meat birds) can get noisy. Like having the Jr High football team at a Dairy Queen and the cheerleaders come in.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in Wally today. Their "cage free, organic, brown eggs" were $2.48 a doz.
Everything else was $3 or more.
Picked up 6 dozen.
Yep, picked up a dozen of the same. I actually think they're better eggs than the white ones so really surprised to see the price. Probably should've grabbed another dozen but worried we may not eat them fast enough.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, picked up a dozen of the same. I actually think they're better eggs than the white ones so really surprised to see the price. Probably should've grabbed another dozen but worried we may not eat them fast enough.
Refrigerated they will keep for a couple months.

My guess is, haven't gotten a new shipment for the price increases and somebody overlooked them.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up about 20 chicks last October......little did I know I was like investing in a gold mine. They started laying 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now getting 18/day !!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up about 20 chicks last October......little did I know I was like investing in a gold mine. They started laying 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now getting 18/day !!!
Wife has almost decided she wants a couple of laying hens, but she is going to have to wait. I am not selling one of the few guns I have left to build a chicken tractor. :P :P :P

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are about 45-60 days from SHTF according to an "expert" I follow on youtube. Just a thought. Take it for what you will.
Are you talking chick shortages? Eggs or stock market in general? Housing market? I watched the video about housing prices and rent but not sure we're near a housing bubble.....yet. That the "expert" or someone else?

I put a sizeable chunk of my retirement funds on the sidelines last year expecting a downturn. Kept my monthly investments but took some profits and looking for when to slowly get back in.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking chick shortages? Eggs or stock market in general? Housing market? I watched the video about housing prices and rent but not sure we're near a housing bubble.....yet. That the "expert" or someone else?

I put a sizeable chunk of my retirement funds on the sidelines last year expecting a downturn. Kept my monthly investments but took some profits and looking for when to slowly get back in.

He's not the expert I am talking about. He's a CPA and is level headed and holds back on what he says, I think anyway.

I am talking about epic food shortages and depression level economic activity due to what is happening in China right now and rising interest rates. The backlog of shipping containers are at record levels. These transports are anchored off the China coast. How does this impact food shortages here? Where do most of the food containers come from? China.

Good idea about the retirement. I did the same thing. Now, with rates rising, the stocks are going to get smashed. Rising rates will kill incentives to grow or generate new economic activity. Like others have stated, increasing the rates is too little and too late!

Latest posts

Top Bottom