Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prices are getting crazy.

20221008_144734.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prices are getting crazy.

View attachment 308849
A 50 lb bag of 15% layer pellets is at $17. The 18% higher yet, not SO long ago it was $8 a bag. These prices are small town ok, give thought to what they are elsewhere. I wonder how long before a dozen is $20 and feed is $40 a bag.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can feed your chickens alfalfa hay as a way to cheapen the cost of feeding. you can also plant some winter pea,ryegrass or something else also. or if you want get a hammer mill and just make your own.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. Eggs keep at room temp for a LONG time. Plus if need need to you can waterglass them (I think that's the right term) and they will be good for months and months. If it comes down to it that might be the only regular source of protein that is affordable. No sense in giving it away ...
How does this "waterglass" deal work. I know we buy fresh eggs from a local gal here and when those pile up on us, we do the float test. If they stay at the bottom of the glass full of water, they are good and the higher they float the badder they are getting. When they float to the top - I toss them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does this "waterglass" deal work. I know we buy fresh eggs from a local gal here and when those pile up on us, we do the float test. If they stay at the bottom of the glass full of water, they are good and the higher they float the badder they are getting. When they float to the top - I toss them.
you are throwing away perfectly good eggs.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, 1 tablespoon of either pickling lime or hydrated lime per quart of water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom