El Cheapo Home Defense Handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend from work was asking me about guns today, which was weird because he never was interested in them before. He lives in the crappy side of Stillwater, back where that police shooting happened a while ago, and he said he heard a gunshot after seeing some guy jumping his neighbors' fences a few weeks back.

Only problem is he lives on a real tight budget because he has medical bills from a surgery he had and his son also has medical issues, so he can't afford much. I saw a Hipoint .45 and a Jiminez Arms 9mm at a pawn shop, so I figured I'd buy one and sell it to him at a discount or something. You guys have any opinions on the brands? He also said he would have to wait until he gets a safe because of the kid... would one of those basic bike locks that come with guns be good enough with a kid around?

Also... buying a gun with the intent to gift it to a friend is legal, right? He's not a felon or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Figured I'd sell it at half cost, but gifting a hundred bucks wouldn't be the end of the world for me. Is there a difference legally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly don't know. Personally, just as a CMA, I'd not mention anything of selling it and just take any reciprocity as a gift. Some will say I'm overly precautious, but i have not trust or faith in the legal system.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My possible soon to be son-in-law just picked himself up one of those mossberg 12ga 88's and we ran some birdshot and 00buck through it very reliably, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either. I think it was $190 at academy.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Hi-Point. They're ugly, and they're not a 50k round gun, but for something that's largely going to sit in a drawer, they're plenty reliable.

I'd skip the Jiminez.

Agree about the Hi-Point. After seeing the Jiminez jam-matic at the range one time, skip it...

Maverick is OK, Remy 870 for the win...

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The age of the child is key in my opinion, unless a biometric box safe and a pistol is the objective. I would lean towards a cheap 870 in 20g pump for about 150.00 used.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/72007...for-sale--springfield-model-944-series-a-20ga
http://www.armslist.com/posts/72622...oma-shotguns-for-sale--maverick-88-20ga-youth
http://www.armslist.com/posts/6581251/oklahoma-city-oklahoma-shotguns-for-sale--mossberg-model-88
All sold by dealers, all solid weapons. All under 150 bucks..

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom