El Choo Choo Loco: Man attempts to ram USNS Mercy with train

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can get a pilots license and nuff said on that.

The train looks to have went across a small ditch.. notice the ditch under the Conex box
I bet the ditch was straddled and drive wheels are hanging in it..No traction.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I saw in a news article that the "engineer" is one that only operates a "switcher" engine for the company that runs them at the docks and such. It might be that since the company isn't really a railroad company and going longer distances, the engineer didn't have to have the same certification as an engineer of a regular train.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend was a brakeman/conductor for a small RR. He had a yard license in case of emergency, but that license did not apply to mainline operation.
My stepson drives mainline freight for Burlington Northern in N. Texas/S. Oklahoma.
Not sure about licenses for passenger train drivers, I’d reckon they need a different certification than freight drivers.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is it's the New York area, I am surprised there hasn't been a WHOLE LOT more of this already. Probably at least a few thousand sitting in their hovel with their tinfoil hats expanded to body suits right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't read the story...but how do you intentionally derail a train and *think* you can run it into something? Unless the ship was at the end of the line, there seems to be some confusion of the train engineer's thinking about how to do this.
End of the line rail lines always have a derail or a block to stop the locomotive that I've seen to prevent runaways? I'm sure I've not seen it all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the engine only and (amazingly) he managed to run it across a parking lot and almost to the water (the news showed pics).

Not sure what his plan was after it hit the water. Maybe his childhood involved a lot of skipping rocks across a pond...
:drunk2:
I've seen some drunk rednecks on ATVs think they can cross water on their ATV at high speed like a skipping rock. Makes for some really good videos and they are all over the internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom