Electric Harleys...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BMW sitting at dealer waiting on electrical harness parts was the last story I heard from a BmW owner
Yeah my olld FXR was loud and crude but I could work on it apnd keep it reliable road trip worthy easy and parts not hard to find

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BMW sitting at dealer waiting on electrical harness parts was the last story I heard from a BmW owner
Yeah my olld FXR was loud and crude but I could work on it apnd keep it reliable road trip worthy easy and parts not hard to find
Any BMW over 10 years old they won’t touch your on your own.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you still need a motorcycle endorsement on an electric bike? Because, technically it doesn't have a 125cc motor...........
I guess I'm thinking in technicalities.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Harley’s Electric-Motorcycle Spinoff Raises Less Than Planned in SPAC Debut​

(Bloomberg) -- LiveWire Group Inc., the electric motorcycle division spun off by Harley-Davidson Inc., raised less than planned and was valued below expectations in a lackluster trading debut.
Etc. Etc.
The bike introed at ~$30,000. I just checked HD website and (the bike they initially marketed) is down to $23,000.

Since then, they've introduced the Delmar at $17,000. But the specs say the range is only 110 miles. HD's charging stations were, initially, proprietary and HD's electric bikes could only be charged at an HD station. A lot of HD dealerships couldn't afford the $100K or so outlay for a charging machine.

That means that HD EVs are out of the question for riders who aren't near an HD charging machine. And even if their city had an HD charging machine, the rider would always have to stay near to that particular charger.

But, and this is a biggie, a "quick" charge is over an hour. The level 2 charge is 75 minutes. Would you want to spend an hour gassing up your bike? I ride a Triumph ICE and I'd quit riding if it came to that. No way I'd lay out that coin for a bike with severely limited range, relatively high price tag, not many places to "refuel" and that long a wait to recharge.

HD has a habit of simply discontinuing bikes that don't perform well ... on the balance sheet. They suddenly dropped their entire Buell line. Then they dropped their entire Dyna line. And they're going to dump the EV bikes, too. It's all about the bottom line.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would design a EM that could only be charged at a proprietary charging location? If you can't charge it at home or at your destination, then it's just about worthless. I guess they thought if you were stuck at the HD store for an hour or two, you would shop around and buy more overpriced merchandise.

HD has just about reached the end of their lifespan. Not a lot of the under 40 crowd is getting into big bike cruising and their primary market target are getting out of riding due to age and physical limitations. The younger generations aren't really that interested in MC riding and those who are aren't adopting what HD is offering to them.

As a side note, I just lost a good friend yesterday to a cycling accident. It has really dampened my enthusiasm to get back on mine. You always know in the back of your mind the risks involved, but when it hits that close to home it puts it in a whole new light.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would design a EM that could only be charged at a proprietary charging location? If you can't charge it at home or at your destination, then it's just about worthless. I guess they thought if you were stuck at the HD store for an hour or two, you would shop around and buy more overpriced merchandise.

HD has just about reached the end of their lifespan. Not a lot of the under 40 crowd is getting into big bike cruising and their primary market target are getting out of riding due to age and physical limitations. The younger generations aren't really that interested in MC riding and those who are aren't adopting what HD is offering to them.

As a side note, I just lost a good friend yesterday to a cycling accident. It has really dampened my enthusiasm to get back on mine. You always know in the back of your mind the risks involved, but when it hits that close to home it puts it in a whole new light.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Sad.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bike introed at ~$30,000. I just checked HD website and (the bike they initially marketed) is down to $23,000.

Since then, they've introduced the Delmar at $17,000. But the specs say the range is only 110 miles. HD's charging stations were, initially, proprietary and HD's electric bikes could only be charged at an HD station. A lot of HD dealerships couldn't afford the $100K or so outlay for a charging machine.

That means that HD EVs are out of the question for riders who aren't near an HD charging machine. And even if their city had an HD charging machine, the rider would always have to stay near to that particular charger.

But, and this is a biggie, a "quick" charge is over an hour. The level 2 charge is 75 minutes. Would you want to spend an hour gassing up your bike? I ride a Triumph ICE and I'd quit riding if it came to that. No way I'd lay out that coin for a bike with severely limited range, relatively high price tag, not many places to "refuel" and that long a wait to recharge.

HD has a habit of simply discontinuing bikes that don't perform well ... on the balance sheet. They suddenly dropped their entire Buell line. Then they dropped their entire Dyna line. And they're going to dump the EV bikes, too. It's all about the bottom line.
Proprietary electricity, got it. That's up there on the stupid meter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom