Electric lawn mowers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobfuente

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A DeWalt mower could be in my distant future, but mainly as a nice to have rather than a have to have. I've got two DeWalt chainsaws and a hedge trimmer. All Flexvolts. Run off the same batteries. All these are have to haves though. Couldn't make it without them.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
t its worn out. already

What wore out on it?
I used to mow yards i had 75 yards I mowed 2 times a month.
I had 2 push mowers a Briggs 5Hp and a Tecumseh 5 HP.
Both lasted me over 5 years.
None of that self propelled crap.
I have had snappers that eventually failed on the self propelled..in fact every self propelled would only go about 2 years.

I use high lift blades and turn up the RPM on most mowers.
I also pound the dirt out of the filter daily.
You will be surprised how much dirt gets into a filter.. you clog it up and it will start getting it's air supply from the crank case vent hose and you will wonder why so much smoke from the exhaust.

Rotella T6 or better oil is what I used in my mowers.
Not any low Zinc junk oil.

My neighbor has brought me his mower to weld the deck and other pieces back together..
Some of these newer decks are super thin.

Letting a mower or other small engine sit for long periods will corrode the fuel passages in the carb.
Easy enough to take apart and clean but torch tip cleaners are many times needed to really clear the small idle jet passage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2596.png

bobfuente

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

Buy a decent mower that is built well and it will last a very long time.

Electric mowers are for mowing a single strip of grass in between 2 drive ways in a metropolis. Anything more than that is gonna be a stretch. Big diff in commercial mowers versus well built sturdy homeowner models. I know guys that have bought commercial mowers to mow their lawns. Seems like a waste to me. Buy a homeowner model and use it all day every day in commercial use, and it won't last very long.

If you buy a mower on the cheap, you can expect to be replacing it pretty often, which will wind up costing you more over the long haul.

You might check a few pawn shops for used Honda. They go forever, as long as you maintain them.
I agree. A gas push mower is a bargain for the buck. A battery mower is more for the purist who is loyal to his electric tools and has the money to splurge on his hobbies. Nothing wrong with that, and I love my DeWalts. But when needs be, I use an old gas powered push mower where I can't get to with the riding mower.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 56volt e-go self propelled mower. I can easily mow front and backyard on one charge. Even when the grass is high and wet.

I actually bought it used in fb marketplace after my trusty 2-stroke mower finally broke lol.

2 mowing seasons in and zero issues.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

Buy a decent mower that is built well and it will last a very long time.

Electric mowers are for mowing a single strip of grass in between 2 drive ways in a metropolis. Anything more than that is gonna be a stretch. Big diff in commercial mowers versus well built sturdy homeowner models. I know guys that have bought commercial mowers to mow their lawns. Seems like a waste to me. Buy a homeowner model and use it all day every day in commercial use, and it won't last very long.

If you buy a mower on the cheap, you can expect to be replacing it pretty often, which will wind up costing you more over the long haul.

You might check a few pawn shops for used Honda. They go forever, as long as you maintain them.

I agree, but there's no reason why my $500+ mower should already be done for after two and a half years worth of work. Also, with being between jobs/starting my own business right now, as well as needing to drop $4k into repairing the engine on my truck unexpectedly I'm a little short on commercial mower money, and I dont see much of point in said investment if I only need it for 2-3 years before buying a riding mower for acreage in the future.

What wore out on it?
I used to mow yards i had 75 yards I mowed 2 times a month.
I had 2 push mowers a Briggs 5Hp and a Tecumseh 5 HP.
Both lasted me over 5 years.
None of that self propelled crap.
I have had snappers that eventually failed on the self propelled..in fact every self propelled would only go about 2 years.

I use high lift blades and turn up the RPM on most mowers.
I also pound the dirt out of the filter daily.
You will be surprised how much dirt gets into a filter.. you clog it up and it will start getting it's air supply from the crank case vent hose and you will wonder why so much smoke from the exhaust.

Rotella T6 or better oil is what I used in my mowers.
Not any low Zinc junk oil.

My neighbor has brought me his mower to weld the deck and other pieces back together..
Some of these newer decks are super thin.

Letting a mower or other small engine sit for long periods will corrode the fuel passages in the carb.
Easy enough to take apart and clean but torch tip cleaners are many times needed to really clear the small idle jet passage.

I use rotella t6 as well, as well as premium 100% gas. One of the issues is the self propelled bits are worn out, and while I haven't done a compression test, I am relatively sure my compression is going out. It has a hard time mowing anything, regardless of height after it gets warm. Constantly bogging down, the whole nine yards. Took it to a shadetree mechanic and a husqvarna dealer last year, had the carb rebuilt, parts replaced, everything serviced and stuff, but no change. I serviced it this year about a month ago, again no change. I may just buy a non propelled model, I feel like it would be more reliable and I could have a little more juice for mowing as opposed to making it easier for me.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats definitely on the want list one day.

i have an m18 chainsaw and weed eater. i like em just fine for my needs. there is a place for electric
I've realized the same not too long ago. I cant swing around a chainsaw like I did before I messed up both shoulders and got older and fatter. After 4 6 hour days limbing and trimming trees with my 55cc 22" barred monster I am considering buying a little electric limb trimmer asap.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, but there's no reason why my $500+ mower should already be done for after two and a half years worth of work. Also, with being between jobs/starting my own business right now, as well as needing to drop $4k into repairing the engine on my truck unexpectedly I'm a little short on commercial mower money, and I dont see much of point in said investment if I only need it for 2-3 years before buying a riding mower for acreage in the future.

You misread. I didn't say you needed a commercial mower. I said I thought buying a commercial mower for homeowner use was a waste. Specifically, I said that, and there is a massive difference in quality and price in commercial and a well built homeowner mower.

I've never seen a Husqvarna anything that I thought was built worth a crap.

Sorry about your mower. Again, maybe look for a nice, well built push mower at a pawn shop.

If I was short on money, and could only do it once, I wouldn't be buying an electric mower, but I'm not you. You're you.

Good luck in your quest.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 56volt e-go self propelled mower. I can easily mow front and backyard on one charge. Even when the grass is high and wet.

I actually bought it used in fb marketplace after my trusty 2-stroke mower finally broke lol.

2 mowing seasons in and zero issues.
ACE has them for five fiddy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom