Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My guess is it would take days to charge one via solar.
take to long to charge i imagine. does anyone know what voltage these ev cars use?
It wouldn't be the only option for charging but you would think it would help on long summer days at least. If a vehicle is outside why not take advantage of free power?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
CNG should have been the next step while they are improving their batteries. Would have been good for everyone, especially in OK.
There are/were at least two CNG pumps near me so when gas got up to around $4 last time I sure was keeping an eye out for a used CNG vehicle. Unfortunately they were in high demand and the CNG option added about $10K to the price.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wouldn't be the only option for charging but you would think it would help on long summer days at least. If a vehicle is outside why not take advantage of free power?

Yeah, would be interesting what a roof made of solar panels would do for range. Must not work very well or they'd be doing it for the advertising at least.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are/were at least two CNG pumps near me so when gas got up to around $4 last time I sure was keeping an eye out for a used CNG vehicle. Unfortunately they were in high demand and the CNG option added about $10K to the price.

Yeah, I came close to converting a Tundra, but it was too expensive even with rebates. The guy at the conversion place said the kits were so expensive because they had to get gov approval for every model - ie F150 single cab, F150 Ext cab and so on.. Don't know if that was true or just a story.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I came close to converting a Tundra, but it was too expensive even with rebates. The guy at the conversion place said the kits were so expensive because they had to get gov approval for every model - ie F150 single cab, F150 Ext cab and so on.. Don't know if that was true or just a story.
When I first looked into it the combination of the Federal and State rebates pretty much paid for the conversion.

I had an investor very interested in opening a conversion shop here but he decided to get into building solar panels instead.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get with the times, Luddites! We run our cars with wood gasifiers now!
440px-99woodgas.jpg

You can do the same thing with manure.

Woody

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some OnCues have CNG pumps but I heard they took forever to fill. We were looking several years back for a used CNG vehicle too, but with our frequent trips up north, a flex fuel made much more sense.
My sister in laws sisters husband bought a three year old CNG Chevy 2500 from an ONG surplus auction. It was parked because it needed a new regulator or something.
He got a $20k+ truck for $6800 plus a $400 part.

What about propane powered trucks? Aren't those rather popular in Mexico?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some OnCues have CNG pumps but I heard they took forever to fill. We were looking several years back for a used CNG vehicle too, but with our frequent trips up north, a flex fuel made much more sense.
My sister in laws sisters husband bought a three year old CNG Chevy 2500 from an ONG surplus auction. It was parked because it needed a new regulator or something.
He got a $20k+ truck for $6800 plus a $400 part.

What about propane powered trucks? Aren't those rather popular in Mexico?

All the farmers used to have propane tanks in their trucks, back in the carburetor days. Not sure if it was propane prices or the added complication of conversions when FI took over?

Latest posts

Top Bottom