Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several customers have them. One thing they all say, is when the charge is showing xxx miles to empty, figure 80% at best.
One customer wanted to drive from OKC to Denver last year, model S. They made Amarillo and chickened out. Parked the tesla at a rental place and rented a car for the duration of the trip.
Problem they had, uphill with a/c on full, decreases the battery charge more rapidly than what the battery meter said they had for distance remaining.
This customer drives 130 miles round trip 3 days a week for work and absolutely loves the S for her commute, not long distance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My earlier comments about the cost of battery replacement, etc actually came from some research we have been doing on golf carts.
There are electric battery powered models and there are gas engine models.
When we do extended stays at RV parks we typically rent a golf cart to do short hops around the areas where they are legal to be on the street.
In talking to folks that own them and have owned both in the past. Every one prefers the gas engine models. The engine stops when letting off the gas, like some of the new full size auto's.
The issue is keeping it for a length of time and having to replace the batteries on the electric models.
The gas engine ones are like the energizer bunny and keep running while battery life degradation occurs every time one is charged.
I fully understand that the batteries used in golf carts are different than those used in EV's, but that concern still stands with the new technology.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have an EV but will echo two points already mentioned.
First, the folks I've talked to say they are great if used for a standard routine (like commuting to and from work).
That leads to part 2 -- Those folks have a charger at home so they plug the vehicle in overnight and keep batteries charged.
But currently there aren't charging stations everywhere I would want to go and certainly not enough rapid charging facilities.
And for the charger at home, what happens when a storm passes through and you're left with no electricity for over a week?

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a Model 3 for a while. I think a lot of people are ridiculous for drawing lines in the sand over EVs. I like EVs and gas cars both; they each have their plus and minuses. I loved the car itself, instant and unlimited power at any speed, cool features, beautiful styling, was actually pretty comfortable and the best tech of any car I have owned. What ultimately lead us to sell it was the charging aspect and range anxiety. I found myself constantly worried about the damn charge level the thing had and I didn't like psychological aspect of knowing that I couldn't just go on a random road trip, or take a short trip to Tulsa or something unless it was fully charged. You really have to start planning things out, and it can get tricky in the summer time in OK since the A/C draws a lot of power. It was just too much of a headache. There is an app you can download that shows you the nearest charging station and you kinda have to start getting used to parking there and walking to your destination if you are going out of town. Typically, Target, Costco, etc all have chargers as well. We usually would just walk to and from several places while parked there. It really takes the convenience out of things.

I will say this though. Like it or not, EVs are the future, and we will see gas cars become the secondary means of transportation within the next 20-30 years. They just need the infrastructure to support them, and right now it isn't there. Superchargers are very expensive, as is the maintenance for them, and the level 2 chargers are just unreliable, particularly the 3rd party ones. Oklahoma has one of the better charging networks too, and it still isn't enough.

We almost ruined our Hawaiian vacation because we booked a Model 3 there too not realizing the island has zero superchargers, and only a handful of level 2 chargers which worked about half the time. We spent as much time hunting for an open charger and then subsequently waiting for it to charge as we did laying out on the beach.

If you only go to local places, say within 30 minutes of your house, and have a level 2 charger installed in your home so you can top it off daily, it could be okay. I will think about another one in another 5-10 year, but right now, unless you really only go places near you or spring for the expensive long distance models, it just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EV's of the future will not have batteries like today... or EV's will not be plentiful or "the car of the future".
Problem with the batteries are the components. A gas engine is iron and aluminum, easily found in the earth's crust and easily refined. EV batteries are nickel, cobalt and 10 other hard to dig elements. Unless 'we' are willing to destroy the parts of the earth that contain these components, EV's will be a fad.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came very close to buying a 2019 Chevy Bolt last year. For around town it would be a decent car. The two things that pushed me away from it were the crappy seats and the hideous interior. Those problems have been addressed in the 2022 model.
The 200HP Bolt is shockingly fun to drive and with the regenerative braking paddle on the steering wheel you rarely touch the brakes. With the discount they had last year a Bolt would have been cheap to buy and cheap to own.
As to charging I have a garage with a 220V outlet so level 2 recharging overnight would be easy.
When I get to the point where I can no longer drive long distances an EV will definitely be in my future.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EV's of the future will not have batteries like today... or EV's will not be plentiful or "the car of the future".
Problem with the batteries are the components. A gas engine is iron and aluminum, easily found in the earth's crust and easily refined. EV batteries are nickel, cobalt and 10 other hard to dig elements. Unless 'we' are willing to destroy the parts of the earth that contain these components, EV's will be a fad.
Oh heck no! The greenies don't mind eagles being killed by wind farms, so they won't mind mining rare minerals to create a narrative that battery is better.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good combination would be an electric vehicle and your own solar charging station at your house.

When the solar wasn't charging the vehicle it could power some or all of the electric in your house. You would save money on both fuel and electric which will probably cost much more in the near future.

Last edited:

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought a 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium Energi with 11k miles on it (Diffie certified).
Plug in hybrid.
The first 30~ miles is completely on battery. When that's drained, it's a constant 57 mpg on gasoline and the battery that's regenerative charged every time you use the brakes.
I love this car....
20210509_004926.jpg
20210509_004914.jpg

Ford has an app that helps you track your stats on the usage, and compare it to other hybrid Ford's in the area. There are several people on the app that have never put gas in their Fusions. Using it as a completely electric car.
Screenshot_2021-05-09-01-02-36.png
Screenshot_2021-05-09-01-02-03.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom