Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Subsidies means the rest of the people in this country are footing the bill for that $7,500.00. It's the government picking winners at the expense of the rest of us. Obviously, these subsidized vehicles won't sell without those subsidies. The free market is sidestepped. I guess free enterprise is dead.

Woody

It's not a subsidy though... it's a tax credit... and in the $400million OK oil industry tax credit mega thread, most agreed that tax credits aren't subsidies.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is going to be a problem, especially in older areas, when a lot of people get electric cars. The power distribution just is not build for the kind of loads that will be used. This will of course happen first during extreme weather when the electric demand is already pushing the capacity.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ICE vehicles are dinosaurs....watch the sales percentages for hybrids and electric vehicles jump up. Munro predicts the 50% tipping point will be in about 5 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but they had to use fossil fuels to keep the vehicle batteries charged. I was there in the RV. We had to use our F-250 to keep batteries in the RV charged by idling the truck and using jumper cables.
Fuel stations ran out of fuel because there was no electricity to run pumps to fill tankers, propane companies couldn't fill bottles because there was no electric to run the fill pumps.
The entire reason for the Tx electric shutdown is because it was a natural disaster by the cold weather that affected the power plants, solar panels and wind farms.
None of which were hardened for that type of low temperatures.
It was a historically low temperature that had never been seen before. (where was global warming when you need it?)
When I worked an Oklahoma coal fired power plant for many years, our instruments that sent data to the control room and the logic room where all the computers were was housed in instrument houses out on the structure with heaters inside to keep them from freezing up.
Texas had none of that on any of their systems.
All instruments were outside with zero protection from the elements.
When one pressure or temperature transmitter freezes up, the control system analyzes that data, checks with the backup instruments, and if necessary shuts the entire system down with a "trip", that takes the unit offline and out of the grid.
That is what took the independent power system out of service during that cold spell.
Tx is currently ordering the power companies to harden their cold weather capability's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ICE vehicles are dinosaurs....watch the sales percentages for hybrids and electric vehicles jump up. Munro predicts the 50% tipping point will be in about 5 years.
If you can't charge them due to natural disaster, they are hunks of steel just like petroleum powered vehicles that can't get fuel because of power outages.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I wouldn't be so quick to call them dinosaurs. In spite of what all the EV proponents want to claim, I can't see electric semi-trucks being a viable over-the-road vehicle. Many of those are driven by teams, either by two drivers per vehicle switching off the driving or trucks driven 8 hours to another company distribution point and another driver taking the same truck on another 8 hours. That "infrastructure" doesn't work with long periods of time to recharge batteries.

Also, I also don't see EV's working well with the RV industry, especially so for those towing trailers.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come out this Saturday to the OKC Service center. Tesla Club is having a meet up and there will be tons of cars and *actual* owners around. We'll be there.

We've had our Model 3 for going on 3 years and it's been an awesome commuter and road trip car. Insurance was comparable to our previous vehicles, electric bill increase is insignificant and there is essentially 0 maintenance. Service will show up to your house or wherever to complete when able and we now have 2 service centers in OK.

There's a reason OK has been one of Tesla's (specifically) fastest growing markets.

There are superchargers literally everywhere
E7TNDD0l.png

So routing for long trips is an academic problem. The cars know where all the chargers are so your route, stops and charging time are all baked into the navigation. The I40 east is a little thin but there are SCs slated to show up eventually.

We did OKC to Santa Fe to OKC. ~1,000 miles. Spent about $40 give or take and maybe an hour *in total* at chargers. Coupled with the fact I didn't have to drive for 75% or better it's a no brainer.\

A 110V/5A trickle charge will give you ~5 miles/hr of charging. A 30A dryer outlet will provide ~24 miles/hr of charging. It only goes up from there if you provide more juice in the form of a 14-50 outlet or HPWC from Tesla.

Last edited:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's interesting to see all of the comments. Makes me wonder if 100+ years ago when the "horseless carriage" was starting to take hold if the horse people stood around and talked about how bad the horseless carriages were? EV's are the next pivot, like them on not, that is the way it is going, just like the pivot to the "horseless carriage".

Latest posts

Top Bottom