Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's interesting to see all of the comments. Makes me wonder if 100+ years ago when the "horseless carriage" was starting to take hold if the horse people stood around and talked about how bad the horseless carriages were? EV's are the next pivot, like them on not, that is the way it is going, just like the pivot to the "horseless carriage".

It had to suck being the guy who picked up all that horse poop.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In spite of what all the EV proponents want to claim, I can't see electric semi-trucks being a viable over-the-road vehicle. Many of those are driven by teams, either by two drivers per vehicle switching off the driving or trucks driven 8 hours to another company distribution point and another driver taking the same truck on another 8 hours. That "infrastructure" doesn't work with long periods of time to recharge batteries.

I had the exact same thought when Tesla announced the letric tractors. Like we talked earlier, the battery tech just isn't there. But I realized I'm looking at everything from my standpoint here in Oklahoma. To go anywhere, it takes a long drive. Perhaps these will have an advantage over tractors in the big sprawling areas like LA or shipping hubs like port areas. The type of hauling that takes place all day in the same couple of zip codes.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly a commercial aircraft, but the Solvay Impulse solar plane flew around the world in 2015. This is the company I retired from. The Impulse project started in 2004. Electric transportation concepts have been evolving for a long time. We will see significant change in the next decade.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
David, I bought a 2018 Prius Prime Advance and get a combined 83.7 MPG but that is with me using the in car drive battery around town. I don't remember the last time I filled up-maybe a month ago. It will go around 30 miles before the engine kicks on. I go from Jones to OKC and about 3-4 miles from the house the engine kicks in. It comes with a 120v extension cord to charge the car via any home receptacle and takes about 4 hours but I wired 220 from the circuit breaker (put in 20 amp breaker I believe) and bought a Charge Point unit, mounted it to the wall and it takes only about 2 hours to charge now. I think that I am going to be happy that I bought the Prius in a couple of months.
Only downside is the Prius won't carry much luggage and food stuff if you're on a long trip. Also, it doesn't have a spare of any kind, just a small compressor and can of stuff that supposedly will stop a small leak should I have a flat. Oh, I bought the top or near the top of the line around $32,000 and the seats aren't leather-they are vinyl-like. Other electric cars have a greater range of travel with the battery. A used Nissan Leaf can be had fairly reasonable on virtually any internet venue, go for a 2015 or newer since they have the extended range with the battery.
One final thing, an electric powered car with gas engine backup doesn't have. lot of miles on the engine because all the miles are local and using the electric power.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
They built a new strip mall type of shopping area here in Shawnee a few years ago and put in several of the charging stations in the parking lot. I have never seen any of them being used.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get with the times, Luddites! We run our cars with wood gasifiers now!
440px-99woodgas.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fun fact... The same Volkswagen EV car owns four of the top eight lap times at Pikes Peak, including the reigning record by nearly seventeen seconds... A full pull at 7min 57sec... which doesn't sound that impressive, but that is cooking up the mountain

Latest posts

Top Bottom