Electrical Advice, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah most people would be surpised that just because the breaker says 20a on it, does nt mean it throw at 20a. It takes longer depnding on the load the circuit is pulling on the breaker before the breaker will finally trip.

On that note, I know now that new homes are required to use newer style breakers in rooms where children or people are present. These new style breakers trip at a lower and or closer point to their suggested value. When we had a lightning strike close to the house (1/4 mile away) it tripped both the master bedroom and our 2 other bedroom breakers, none of the rest of the house tripped.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On that note, I know now that new homes are required to use newer style breakers in rooms where children or people are present. These new style breakers trip at a lower and or closer point to their suggested value. When we had a lightning strike close to the house (1/4 mile away) it tripped both the master bedroom and our 2 other bedroom breakers, none of the rest of the house tripped.

Yup, AFCI breakers NEC 210.12 The idea is great but the technology needs to be improved a little

http://www.afcisafety.org/codes.html

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah tell me about it. I know why they want them, but jesh they were the only breakers in the entire home that tripped when the lightning strike happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom