Electrical Advice, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok sounds like you have 2 cut overs, one from the house to the garage and another from the garage to the shop. In my opinion this is way to many splits for a norman 200A residential service.. The average home can pull an easy 130-160A on its own, that only leaves you 70-40A for the garage.

I would call your electric company and find out what it would take to get your service upgraded to the next leval of single phase service (120/240) unless you are willing to go 3 phase (120/208 or 240/480). Sounds like you might need more amps from the electric company first, then just update and or upgrade your breaker panels to accomodate the service and make sure you are up to code.

The easiest way to do this would be to have your electric company give you a quote for running a seperate meter to the shop, this would give you another 200A service then you could have the breaker panel updated with additional circuits for what you need in the shop. Yes you will have 2 bills each month from your electric company, but this would take care of your issue.

I work for a utility company and this is how I would suggest and what I see on a daily basis with us.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep reading your getting 40 amps at 240 volts, and 20 at 110, full load amps. Sure you haven't transposed those numbers? Ohms law never lies.

I recently went through a similar process. I live in the sticks, but still had to get a permit and inspection, as we get our electric from Ponca City, and they won't put in a service unless its done that way.
Putting in the service is free for us, as long as the weather head, meter box, etc is installed and inspected.
You said everything is underground, so that makes it a little more difficult to see where the power is distributed. There is a down and dirty way, and I won't post it on the internet. Professionals can trace the line electronically.
Here is an Idea. Call OKIE and tell them you are going to dig in your yard, and the power company servicing your electric will come out and do it for free!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AFAIK out in rural areas at least, permits are not required... if I am mistaken please let me know. Good point about the insurance though.

If you are in Tulsa County you need a permit....

Thanks for the responses, folks. To answer a few questions: the cutter pulls 40 amps only at 240V and at full load. On 120V and at a medium setting, it's pulling perhaps 20 amps. Because the breaker keeps tripping, I'm guessing the cutter is pulling at least that much. And I live in an unincorporated area of Tulsa County, so no permits needed. At least that I know of! :D And finally, I posted my questions to see if the responses would run along the lines of "Oh, it's an easy fix, here's what you do..." or if they would be more like "Yep, you need an electrician." Looks like the latter wins out. Thanks again, folks!
I kinda just skimmed through your post but it does not seem like a simple fix. Breakers are only good for 80 percent of their rated capacity full time under optimum conditions. Poor connections, heat and wear will make the capacity go down further. I dont do residential work but if you want I can come out and give you an idea of what route I think you need to take for the price of a Coke. What model number is the plasma cuter? Could you post a picture of the nameplate?

If you're gonna keep doin' it you should just take the plunge and run 3-phase.
Your machines will run much better.....particularly if you start runnin' a decent TIG

3 phase wont help single phase equipment

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call OKIE and tell them you are going to dig in your yard, and the power company servicing your electric will come out and do it for free!
To add to this post....

Okie will only locate utility company's lines and the utility stops at their meter. anything after the meter will not be located

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Draw an illustration of what you have- Street to each service panel and (if known) the path between each, then post a pic. Literally, worth 1000 words.

Ultimately, you may indeed have to upgrade your service or run a second line from street to shop. Depending on who you talk to, you might be able to dig, lay line (uncovered) and set up everything, then let a licensed Electrician come in and connect everything, to make it all legal and safe for your municipality. Even if you don't need a permit, the advice of an Electrician might only take a couple minutes with a big legal pad of paper to copy down everything and save a bunch of money in the long run. Plan for even more use in the future- More lights, bigger air compressor, etc..

If you have to dig in line, be sure to call Okie and have them find all of the other stuff you're sure to chop up ;)

A Ditch Witch trencher runs about $150/ day, or $75 for 1/2 day. Get everything ready so you can rent it, use it, then get it back. I've dug 100yd in a 1/2 day rental. Be careful, they're dangerous and evil b!tches.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice, folks! It's much appreciated. I'll be contacting an electrician to come out and run through some options with me for upgrading my electrical layout. It'll also be a good excuse to discuss the installation of a switch panel for a backup generator in the case of a power outage.

Ty, your PM box is full :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To add to this post....

Okie will only locate utility company's lines and the utility stops at their meter. anything after the meter will not be located

Very true. I was assuming his place is like mine, with the meter attached to the house and seperate meters attached to the two shop buildings I have. All buried underground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom