Electrical Code Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe some of you code experts can take a shot at this question. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but here goes.

In my house, I have a 150A split bus electrical panel with no main disconnect, just a breaker for the lower half of the panel for lights and recepts. I have been contemplating having a whole house generator installed with an external automatic transfer switch. My question is whether or not the split bus panel will be an issue with the install and first have to be replaced to be brought up to code. Breakers are 50+ years old too so I would suspect they should also be replaced. Or, would simply adding an external main disconnect be a better (and cheaper) solution? I have a feeling the electrical cost is going to deep six the project.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That panel would not keep you from installing an ATS. If it’s a Bryant / challenger style that was real popular in the middle late 70s through early 90s and it’s not crunchy then it’s probably not as bad as you think. If you want a true ATS I’d look into a service rated outdoor 150 or 200 amp. If you have anything your Genny wouldn’t be able to pick up the load you might look at some shedding modules of some kind

Pm me your number if you want to talk about it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom