Electrical problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon electric hot water tank at home. I have had a lot of issues with it over the last couple of years and it’s not even 4 years old. I have replaced both elements (the bottom three times), the digital thermostat and the control module. It’s an AO Smith from Lowe’s. I have had the breaker trip numerous times and my tank will go off. Then I switch it back on and it works. But it will eventually have issues again. I am at a loss as to what the issue could be. Is it possible that my breaker is bad? Or could it be an electrical voltage issue with OGE? I have noticed over the last year or so when I turn my vacuum on if a light is on it will dim momentarily. I remember during Christmas my tree lights would dim when I would turn the vacuum on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not an electrician but know enough to know your lights should not be flickering with just a vacuum being turned on. The lights should be on a separate circuit from the wall outlets which tells me you may have a problem with the feed to your breaker box. Only way to trouble shoot it is with a meter, probably best bet is to call an electrician to have them come take a look.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lights can be on the same circuit as outlets. In my house they are distributed pretty willy nilly. Putting lights with outlets makes sense to distribute the load. Lights draw very little compared to outlets. I recently had an outlet in the living room go bad and it took out a fridge, basement stairway lights, and dining room outlets & light. It stinks for finding which outlet/light receptacle that might be bad but it makes sense. Lights dimming with vacuum usage is totally normal as vacuums are a large current draw.

As far as your hot water heater problem...If you're comfortable, changing the breaker and checking the circuit and any other thing that might be on it, would be cheaper than swapping the hot water heater.

Latest posts

Top Bottom