Electrical Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of this joke🤣

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realises he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: “Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?”

The man below says: “Yes, you’re in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 metres above this field”.

“You must be an engineer,” says the balloonist.

“I am,” replies the man. “How did you know.”

Well,” says the balloonist, “everything you have told me is technically correct, but it’s no use to anyone.”

The man below says: “You must be in management”.

“I am,” replies the balloonist, “but how did you know?”

“Well,” says the man, “you don’t know where you are, or where you’re going, but you expect me to be able to help. You’re in the same position you were before we met, but now it’s my fault.”

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know some of you guys are way handier with electrical stuff than I ever will be so I need some help. Our christmas lights are old so we upgraded to LED this year and had someone come install them today. Once they got done hanging them, they kept flipping the breaker when they tried to test them. They tried them on 3 different outlet's (each on a different breaker also) with same conclusion, the breaker would flip. Eventually, they ended up isolating 2 runs of lights and ran them on their own timer, without any issues (so far). They are off duty firefighters and suggested we contact an electrician, just in case.

Our house was built in 2017/2018 so everything is new, with arc-fault breakers. We do have breakers flip more than I would like, but a friend of mine that used to be an electrician said arc-fault breakers are just overly sensitive by design. Typically, about once or twice a month the washer will end up flipping the breaker when it changes cycles. Outside of that its not very common. My back patio breaker will also flip on occasion also.

My buddy says not to worry about it and the breakers are just doing what they are designed to do. I personnally think somewhere in the string of lights is a short or something else since its happening on multiple outlets, but i'm dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to electrical stuff.
I don't know what arc-fault breakers are, but in a oil refinery when using electric tools, and lighting, in metal vessels, for entry and repairs, a ground fault breaker is required. This is designed to trip easky to prevent electric shock to people in the metal vessel. I'm not sure but these could be required in newer homes on things like washing machines, dish washers etc, things that have water to them and could be a risk of electrical shock. These ground fault trip easily, and can be a nuance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom