Electrician Types - I Have a Puzzle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd definitely check for proper voltage when powered on and in the 'dim' state. I've also seen cheap built LEDs put quite a bit of electrical noise on the power line which causes all kinds of issues with other LED fixtures.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To add to this...
To add to DH's post.

This is a good simple test but not absolute.

If one of the terminations is not good but still making some connection you could be getting a good reading but still not able to deliver any current. The neutral (grounded conductor) only carries the unbalanced load. depending on what connections are intact and what is running on the the other phase then little to no current could be flowing thru that neutral. It would be really sketchy just like what you mention when the grinder comes on. Be warned. depending on what you turn on and the impedance between phases you could get some really nasty voltage spikes on the entire system. the poor neutral is also probably getting really crunchy too. Could be a fire hazard if you keep going.
Very good comments that are spot on. You can read voltage, but the amperage/current with a meter will show a loss. I've seen the load side of fuses in industrial environments almost red hot because of conductivity issues without blowing the fuse. That issue can generate extremely high temps that causes fires.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd definitely check for proper voltage when powered on and in the 'dim' state. I've also seen cheap built LEDs put quite a bit of electrical noise on the power line which causes all kinds of issues with other LED fixtures.
Fluorescent lights as well. There are two types of transformers for fluorescent lighting systems. One is industrial designed for high ceilings and the other is home units. The difference is that the industrial isn't shielded for RF.
If you buy the industrial and install them in your home shop, radio reception will be impossible. AM or FM.
The home models are shielded and will support radio's.
Don't ask me how I know this......

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fluorescent lights as well. There are two types of transformers for fluorescent lighting systems. One is industrial designed for high ceilings and the other is home units. The difference is that the industrial isn't shielded for RF.
If you buy the industrial and install them in your home shop, radio reception will be impossible. AM or FM.
The home models are shielded and will support radio's.
Don't ask me how I know this......
Yeppers. Most electricians don’t even know about this really. If someone wants to learn a little more you could google “fcc part 15 class a vs b”

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeppers. Most electricians don’t even know about this really. If someone wants to learn a little more you could google “fcc part 15 class a vs b”
It's fortunate we have the internet now to answer that question. Back in the day nobody would have known that.
When putting in my new shop, I opted for fluorescent as the LED were too expensive at that time, choosing the industrial line as it was cheaper.
I called many of my electrical co-workers that had been in the business for their lifetime about why there was nothing but a buzz on the radio in the shop. They had no idea.
It took awhile, but finally found on the internet why.
One more example of going cheaper is not better.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my guess.

image-jpg.37638

One of the neutrals, (white) is loose.

On

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. Checked the neutrals at the box, and they're all tight. So it looks like the tedious task of checking them at every outlet. I didn't use the "strip and insert" method - they're all looped under the screw and tightened. So if it is a loose neutral, what would loosen a neutral after all this time? Or did the new lights just expose it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom