Electricians or people that understand wiring, test me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One that messes with a lot of electricians is a corner ground on a 3 phase system. They are many out there, if you going to work on 3 phase study up a little on them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You and me both... Local electricians won't even call me back about 3phase in residential. I need it in my shop to run a 70 year old 14" tablesaw
You would need to have three phase brought to the house via transmission lines which would be different and separate from the single phase you already have. Terribly expensive for a residential installation.
You can run 3 phase equipment a couple of ways from 230v residential power by using a VFD (variable frequency drive), an inverter, or a rotary phase converter.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would need to have three phase brought to the house via transmission lines which would be different and separate from the single phase you already have. Terribly expensive for a residential installation.
You can run 3 phase equipment a couple of ways from 230v residential power by using a VFD (variable frequency drive), an inverter, or a rotary phase converter.

I’ll have to crack the books for a few years to get on this level. I don’t think you mean single phase though.

Never mind. Googled. You are correct.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have to crack the books for a few years to get on this level.
It's not that difficult. They have been using single phase to run 3 phase equipment for a long time. Some of it is as simple as three electrolytic capacitors in a bank and manipulating the phases through timing using the capacitor values. The issue is that the equipment can get more expensive exponentially depending on the size of the 3 phase motor your trying to drive. 1-3 hp, can be done for a couple hundred dollars. A 5-10hp would run into the thousands, and so on.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have to crack the books for a few years to get on this level.

There is a great book you can get called "Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technologies" it has a few electrical chapters that are awesome. The bonus is you can learn a little about the heat/air stuff also.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not that difficult. They have been using single phase to run 3 phase equipment for a long time. Some of it is as simple as three electrolytic capacitors in a bank and manipulating the phases through timing using the capacitor values. The issue is that the equipment can get more expensive exponentially depending on the size of the 3 phase motor your trying to drive. 1-3 hp, can be done for a couple hundred dollars. A 5-10hp would run into the thousands, and so on.

Do you lose the efficiency? Would it make more sense to swap the motor?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a great book you can get called "Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technologies" it has a few electrical chapters that are awesome. The bonus is you can learn a little about the heat/air stuff also.

Heat and air equipment is the next thing I want to learn. Obviously I’m not going to be on the level of an experienced professional but the basics go pretty far. I will get that book this week. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom