Electronic Ear Muffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to get, or what to watch out for? Academy has them for what seems to me to be reasonable prices ($80 range) and I am going to need some for me and my wife.

Make sure that you purchase the best ear muffs with an adequate NRR (Noise Reduction Rating). If the environment reaches 85dB and your ear muffs only cover 20dB, then you won’t get much hearing protection. Pay close attention to what you are getting.

It's a little long, but here is a pretty good write up about some of the more popular brands.
https://topearmuffs.com/best-ear-muffs/

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a couple cheap sets at walmart for electronic ones to begin with. They work but one quit on one side. I think my next set will be something like the Walker's Razor Quad Electronic Bluetooth or they also have a set like these Walker Razor Behind The Neck that would be nice to have. I figure may as well have something that is dual function. And the second set is 31 db NRR so pretty high.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure that you purchase the best ear muffs with an adequate NRR (Noise Reduction Rating). If the environment reaches 85dB and your ear muffs only cover 20dB, then you won’t get much hearing protection. Pay close attention to what you are getting.

It's a little long, but here is a pretty good write up about some of the more popular brands.
https://topearmuffs.com/best-ear-muffs/

There’s a bit of junk in the article. Such as ANSI S 3.19, nor the testing agency EPA, does not allow a hearing protection device to be rated higher in attenuation than a 33. Yet, they clearly state some have 34 or 35. Not possible or allowable under the standard OSHA cites.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a bit of junk in the article. Such as ANSI S 3.19, nor the testing agency EPA, does not allow a hearing protection device to be rated higher in attenuation than a 33. Yet, they clearly state some have 34 or 35. Not possible or allowable under the standard OSHA cites.
Good find. I forgot about that citation.
I do think it's possible to have attenuation at that level...I have it naturally...lol :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom