Elk in Dewey County Oklahoma? Free roaming elk in the special northwest zone? Where? How?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They had a big fire burn up 400000 acres along the s Canadian River. I wonder if this has displaced some of the elk that were established. Season this year went until oct 21. One elk harvested in the first week, the other during youth gun season. I’m guessing it was harvested by a youth hunter but not shure. Season going 21 days, instead of three or four days makes me think the elk have been displaced a lil bit, changing the pattern for the familys that normally get to harvest the 2 elk in the special northwest zone. Or bad hunting luck lol

Reaction score
Back in January I saw a group of 4 really nice bull elk out on our wheat field north of Leedey on the Trail flats.
Wow that’s totally awesome! And not to far from my hunting grounds. I’m hoping to get a pic if I run my feeders year around. I kinda figured they would be hanging out around that massive wheat flat around trail....there is another big wheat flat just south of tologa, I wonder if the frequent there too? If so, that puts me smack between the two flats. There is property for sale on both sides of me that mentions elk possibility’s. I had a warden tell me Dewey county has elk. At first I thought he meant the county, now I’m kinda thinking he means the wma. Which is right next to a huge wheat flat.

03GeeTee

Marksman
Reaction score
Just curious, how do you think they got established there? Released near by, rouges from the Rocky’s, or escaped from a private herd?

I’ve heard that they travel up and down the river. Not sure where they originated from but there are more elk in the area than you would think.

Reaction score
I’ve heard that they travel up and down the river. Not sure where they originated from but there are more elk in the area than you would think.
I read an article about Texans in wheeler county complain about tagged elk from Oklahoma eating down farmers crops and all the deer corn from deer feeders...in Texas the have no elk season. They can be shot year around and even at night, no tag , no limits... unless they are a tagged animal. If someone harvested a tagged animal, that person can be sued for what the animal is worth. Even if is on your own property. So I guess Oklahoma is releasing them. I’m curious if the Oklahoma tagged trouble making elk in Texas migrated from the Lawton herd, or migrated west on the South Canadian from another possible release point. 4 canyon preserve, Dewey County wma, county or state owned land maybe? All of these options are along the river in Dewey county. I wonder if the elk being harvested in the special northwest zone are tagged?

Latest posts

Top Bottom