Elon Musk 2018 Vow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it took a hell of a lot longer than a week. It actually started with the discovery of the Proton in 1919. That was a long way from 1945.
By your logic, modern automobiles were in development since the invention of the wheel.

I didn't say it took a week to develop nuclear weapons. The results of those years of research & development were what changed within a week.

The same can happen with any technology.
:drunk2:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, a lot of draw to electric vehicles is the green crowd. But that's not the singular reason. It's cheaper per mile to drive one. Of course, they used to cost way more up front, but car prices, especially in that tech-specked luxury category are ridiculously high.

I'll be curious to see how EV popularity evolves now that Honda is putting out their EV at the price point of their civics and accords. The EV just became affordable to us lowly people. Ford is releasing an EV truck. GM is releasing more EV vehicles, including a truck. Honda is just setting a new lower price point.

Infrastructure for EV's is already built nearly nationwide. Will it tax power grids? Maybe. That's a wild flex. But like the battery and motor tech science, nobody is gonna just let the grid remain stagnant. It will evolve into something that can sustain new tech as popularity and usage demands.

Not all government incentives are bad. Just look at your fishing license. It's dirt cheap considering the state and federal government built every lake and grew every fish for your enjoyment. If you've ever lawfully fished, consider yourself a government sponge.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• bike_shoes.jpg
    bike_shoes.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 98

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Sure, a lot of draw to electric vehicles is the green crowd. But that's not the singular reason. It's cheaper per mile to drive one.

How so? Do you know anyone who has driven one any appreciable distance, then sold it? (By appreciable distance I'm talking 6 figure mileage). I don't know anyone who even has one. I never see them in my neck of the woods. Not a single one. I then have to ask myself why?

Can they go further? No. Can they pull anything? No. When their fuel is depleted, can they be put back into service in a timely fashion? (Minutes not hours). No. Can their fuel be replenished anywhere as easily as one can get gas? No. Is their warranty any better or longer? No. Are they cleaner or "greener"? No. Are they any safer? No. Could I drive one coast to coast and not get stranded? Probably not.

Until each and every one of these problems are solved, (assuming you're optimistic enough to believe they can be), these things are not going to sell anywhere near as well as gas vehicles are. And that's asking A LOT. Even the hybrids are dogs with fleas in most models. Expensive, and overly complex for what little fuel they save. And many save none on the highway.

As an example, when we purchased our new 2018 Toyota Camry, we bought it from one of the largest Toyota dealers in the Phoenix metro area. They had scores of new Camry's in stock. In every color, engine, and trim package available. They had 2 Hybrid Camry's.... 2. I asked the salesman why they didn't have more. He said if we could sell them, we would. That pretty much say's it all.

I will say I do occasionally see hybrids on the road. Especially the Prius which seems to be selling well. But they are not true electric vehicles, because they all have engines and gas tanks.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How so? Do you know anyone who has driven one any appreciable distance, then sold it? (By appreciable distance I'm talking 6 figure mileage). I don't know anyone who even has one. I never see them in my neck of the woods. Not a single one. I then have to ask myself why?

We'll have to do this short form since I quit teaching in 2013. Honestly man, I don't care to sway you, but I feel like I'm not being a good fellow human letting you really believe incorrect facts that you could so easily just google yourself and learn. Alas, I'm starting to think you might just have a personal bias against this particular technology, and in that situation, absolutely nobody can have their eyes opened to new proven information.

To answer the real world distance/cost question, read theough the Tesla Cybertruck thread. You'll find actual numbers experienced by some of your fellow OSA members.

Can they go further? Some, yes.
Can they pull anything? Some, Yes.
When their fuel is depleted, can they be put back into service in a timely fashion? (Minutes not hours). Yes, as little as ten minutes.
Can their fuel be replenished anywhere as easily as one can get gas? Yes. Gas pumps run on electricity.
Is their warranty any better or longer? Irelevant but available for purchase like every other vehicle.
Are they cleaner or "greener"? Yes.
Are they any safer? There's not a different standard to measure EV's. Cars are cars.
Could I drive one coast to coast and not get stranded? Yes.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update....

The SpaceX dragon spacecraft has arrived at the cape.
Crews can now begin prepping the vehicle and stacking the rocket components.

May 7th is the tentative launch date to send astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken
to the ISS for a 6-8 day mission stay with the possibility of extending to 18 days.

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-launch-site-arrival-demo-2.html

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We'll have to do this short form since I quit teaching in 2013. Honestly man, I don't care to sway you, but I feel like I'm not being a good fellow human letting you really believe incorrect facts that you could so easily just google yourself and learn. Alas, I'm starting to think you might just have a personal bias against this particular technology, and in that situation, absolutely nobody can have their eyes opened to new proven information.

To answer the real world distance/cost question, read theough the Tesla Cybertruck thread. You'll find actual numbers experienced by some of your fellow OSA members.

Can they go further? Some, yes.
Can they pull anything? Some, Yes.
When their fuel is depleted, can they be put back into service in a timely fashion? (Minutes not hours). Yes, as little as ten minutes.
Can their fuel be replenished anywhere as easily as one can get gas? Yes. Gas pumps run on electricity.
Is their warranty any better or longer? Irelevant but available for purchase like every other vehicle.
Are they cleaner or "greener"? Yes.
Are they any safer? There's not a different standard to measure EV's. Cars are cars.
Could I drive one coast to coast and not get stranded? Yes.
Now you have enlightened me. Please inform me of which all electric vehicle can be completely recharged to a range of that of a gas car in as little as 10 minutes. Inquiring minds want to know. The rest you have put forth is B.S. Saying "YES" repeatedly proves nothing. And the only "bias" I have is in regards to that.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you have enlightened me. Please inform me of which all electric vehicle can be completely recharged to a range of that of a gas car in as little as 10 minutes. Inquiring minds want to know. The rest you have put forth is B.S. "YES" proves nothing. And the only "bias" I have is in regards to that.

I can read you a book, but I can't make you comprehend the words. Be a self reliant person and google it.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I can read you a book, but I can't make you comprehend the words. Be a self reliant person and google it.
As I said, B.S. You can't back up a damn thing you've said. If you could you would have. You made the statements. The burden of proof is on you, not me. And do you really expect me to go to Tesla for honest information on how wonderful their cars are?

Latest posts

Top Bottom