Elon Musk 2018 Vow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To answer the real world distance/cost question, read theough the Tesla Cybertruck thread. You'll find actual numbers experienced by some of your fellow OSA members.

Can they go further? Some, yes.
Can they pull anything? Some, Yes.
When their fuel is depleted, can they be put back into service in a timely fashion? (Minutes not hours). Yes, as little as ten minutes.
Can their fuel be replenished anywhere as easily as one can get gas? Yes. Gas pumps run on electricity.
Is their warranty any better or longer? Irelevant but available for purchase like every other vehicle.
Are they cleaner or "greener"? Yes.
Are they any safer? There's not a different standard to measure EV's. Cars are cars.
Could I drive one coast to coast and not get stranded? Yes.

With regard to that in bold and underlined. Look at Tesla's own numbers equating time of charge with miles of capability for travel. They are listing three different Tesla models.

Tesla - Home Charging Installation

While on the topic of non-fossil fuel generation of electricity, we noticed something on our last trip to visit family in Colorado Springs. The Army had installed solar panels on a number of housing units at Fort Carson. Our last visit revealed that the Army had removed those solar panels. What I don't know is whether they moved them to ground level or just did away with them completely. The housing units aren't really all that old.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said, B.S. You can't back up a damn thing you've said. If you could you would have. You made the statements. The burden of proof is on you, not me. And do you really expect me to go to Tesla for honest information on how wonderful their cars are?

I'm just trying to encourage you to break a nasty habit I suspect you have. Some people take word of mouth as factual if it panders to their own predisposed belief. Literally, a quick search will give you your answer, and you'll be better off for having not taken someone elses word, but verifying a piece of information yourself.
Full disclosure, this is a very remedial scientific process of discovery and peer review, but if you take the baby steps, you'll probably either learn some things along the way, or continue to believe the entire world of academics is lying to you.

It's bad enough MSM spreads fake news, the least you could do is double check you're not contributing to it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regard to that in bold and underlined. Look at Tesla's own numbers equating time of charge with miles of capability for travel. They are listing three different Tesla models.

While on the topic of non-fossil fuel generation of electricity, we noticed something on our last trip to visit family in Colorado Springs. The Army had installed solar panels on a number of housing units at Fort Carson. Our last visit revealed that the Army had removed those solar panels. What I don't know is whether they moved them to ground level or just did away with them completely. The housing units aren't really all that old.

Various supercharger stations can recharge to an 85% standard in 10-25 minutes Terry. Bigger your range, longer it takes. He asked if it was possible, not if it was home practical.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Tesla's fastest charging model can only achieve 30 miles of range per hour of charge time. That's a far cry from a full and complete recharge in 10 minutes.... As I said, complete B.S. Something this thread is filling up with rapidly.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition, it seems that I remember that fast charging batteries actually lessens the life of the battery. Now, perhaps technology has overcome that issue, but I'd be leery of using one of those superchargers very much. As I mentioned in the thread of what I learned in the RV park, if they were using the 50-amp socket, they could recharge fully in about 2 hours. I don't remember what the others were, but with a 30-amp socket it took longer, and for a 20-amp socket, it was pretty much overnight at the very least.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
And just to keep things factual in regards to all the B.S. that's been flying around this thread. Electric car sales comprised only 2 percent of the new car market last year. 2 percent. Just think about that for a minute.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fast charging doesn't affect Tesla battery packs on Tesla Superchargers. That's boldly stated on their own website and backed by their standard 7yr battery warrantee, but they don't fully charge the batteries. They only charge to 85%, the remaining 15% is to be trickle charged at home. Even if it takes overnight, I suspect it's faster to charge an EV at home than it is to fill up the truck in the same garage.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition, it seems that I remember that fast charging batteries actually lessens the life of the battery. Now, perhaps technology has overcome that issue, but I'd be leery of using one of those superchargers very much. As I mentioned in the thread of what I learned in the RV park, if they were using the 50-amp socket, they could recharge fully in about 2 hours. I don't remember what the others were, but with a 30-amp socket it took longer, and for a 20-amp socket, it was pretty much overnight at the very least.
Overnight huh?

What if I bought a EV to commute 20 miles from Edmond to Norman every morning and 20 miles back home? Maybe stop at the grocery store on the way home.
That's all I bought the car for, stop and go commuter traffic where the EV shines
I can plug that car in when I get home and spend time with family instead of pumping gas in the cold and every morning when I go to work the tank battery is full cause it charged while I slept.

If I want to go Florida I can take the other car, or I can fly, or, if I drive the EV, I can plan my meal and rest stops at a charging station.

Just because an EV doesn't work for your lifestyle doesn't mean it won't work any lifestyle.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What if I bought a EV to commute 20 miles from Edmond to Norman every morning and 20 miles back home? Maybe stop at the grocery store on the way home.
That's all I bought the car for, stop and go commuter traffic where the EV shines........

I'll buy that. Except for the "shining" part. Just make sure you don't get rid of your other car if you really have to go anywhere in a pinch. In that case I'm guessing the "shining" part, is having to own 2 cars to be able to get to the same place as your neighbor. Who only needs to own, license, insure, and maintain one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom