Elon Musk 2018 Vow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll buy that. Except for the "shining" part. Just make sure you don't get rid of your other car if you really have to go anywhere in a pinch. In that case I'm guessing the "shining" part, is having to own 2 cars to be able to get to the same place as your neighbor. Who only needs to own, license, insure, and maintain one.
Most households already have at least 2 autos now.
That's nothing new.

For decades many people in the city have purchased a 2nd car based purely on economy with no intention of driving it on long trips.
It's strictly a commuter vehicle.
That's nothing new either.

According to DoT women only drive around 850 miles on average in an entire month.
That's just crying out for EVs.

The EV shines in city driving because every time you have to stop, regenerative breaking recoops kinetic energy from the vehicle and turns it back into electricity which gets stored back into the battery instead of wasted as heat in a conventional vehicle.
You get to use a certain portion of that energy over and over as you accelerate and brake.

I'm done with you because you obviously don't know much about the subject.

And besides, this isn't a Tesla thread in the first place.
It's a SpaceX thread.
You want to make it about Tesla because of your own grudges and grievances.
Have a nice day :o

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the original post way back in 2017 was about a Tesla car going into orbit, so it isn't JUST about SpaceX.

You are right in one respect though. We do own two vehicles, however one is a Ford Expedition Max (think extended length) for carrying passengers and their luggage, and the other is a Ford F450 for towing our RV.

However, even when working and commuting every day, we still preferred a full sized vehicle. That way, it is easier to see what is going on in traffic ahead of us. Itty-bitty cars lets one see the bumper of the car in front of one's self.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the original post way back in 2017 was about a Tesla car going into orbit, so it isn't JUST about SpaceX.

You are right in one respect though. We do own two vehicles, however one is a Ford Expedition Max (think extended length) for carrying passengers and their luggage, and the other is a Ford F450 for towing our RV.

However, even when working and commuting every day, we still preferred a full sized vehicle. That way, it is easier to see what is going on in traffic ahead of us. Itty-bitty cars lets one see the bumper of the car in front of one's self.

The OP is about the first launch of the Falcon Heavy lift vehicle.

First launches of a new rocket are always somewhat risky and you can't expect paying customers to take a chance with their precious cargo on an unproven launch system.
The usual practice would be to demonstrate the capabilities of the new rocket by heaving an expendable throw weight a designated distance and speed.

In this case Musk grabbed the opportunity to launch his older model Tesla into an elliptical orbit, that is nearly eternal, in the vicinity of Mars.
By doing so he captured an iconic photo...

Elon_Musk%27s_Tesla_Roadster_%2840110297852%29.jpg

That STEM students all over the world can pin on their dorm walls right next to their iconic einstein photo.

49e804c72973258d8275be8e23eb9a5d--albert-einstein-oeuvres.jpg

It was marketing genius that few other people would have conceived.

As a photographer you must appreciate that pic.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Most households already have at least 2 autos now.
So what's the sense of buying a car that forces you to have 2, because the damn thing has no range? That's idiotic on steroids.

According to DOT women only drive around 850 miles on average in an entire month. That's just crying out for EVs.

Then why do EV's only account for just 2% of new car sales if they're so wonderful? Because people don't want to limit themselves by buying one. If you're purchasing a second car, you can get a economical gas car that has almost twice the range, and can be filled up in 5 minutes virtually anywhere. Versus an EV that severely limits where you can go due to charging constraints.

I'm done with you because you obviously don't know much about the subject. And besides, this isn't a Tesla thread in the first place. It's a SpaceX thread. You want to make it about Tesla because of your own grudges and grievances.

And you're just pedaling bull$h!t, pure and simple. That lacks any common sense what so ever. And seeing as you now decided to start squawking about thread drift, I didn't hear you b!tching and moaning when they started yapping about Barbara Mandrell. What the hell does she have to do with any of this? You're more full of $h!t than a clogged toilet. Do yourself, and everyone else a favor and pedal it somewhere else. Let the adults talk here, while you marvel at your Tesla poster.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man there's a whole lot of misinformed screeching going on in here; especially from the people that don't own one, don't know anybody with one, or are just repeating stuff they read on the internet because reasons. Next you're gonna tell me .45AARP and 30-06 are the greatest cartridges ever devised.

1. The LR Model 3 does ~320 miles on a charge
  2. You plug in at home, every night. Wake up, full tank (this is at home, on a HPWC. It's my folks personal car)
    4nheJmh.jpg
  3. How many people drive more than that every single day? Not many, if you do; it's not for you.
  4. Superchargers are everywhere. They dump range into your battery at nearly 500 mi/hr and then taper off
    gdxy3ZE.jpg
  5. The built-in nav knows your useage, it knows *exactly* how long you need to stop, and bakes all of that into it's directions AND you can see real time consumption. It has been very accurate in my experience.
  6. Here's a hypothetical cross country trip from NYC-LA in a LR Model 3
    PHKDuWq.jpg
For the entire drive, you stop for an average of 20 minutes at each location for a total of 6 hours on the entire drive. It's almost irrelevant in the grand scheme considering how many times you're going to stop and eat, pee, or spend the night somewhere (which you can then preferentially pick a place with charging.

Sorry to continue the de-rail but un/misinformed screeching by folks with 0 experience about said topics really chaps my ass. You want to learn about them, come out and talk to the people that own them.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This kills me. "500 MPH". So... If I fill up my Camry in 3-1/2 minutes, I have a 485 mile range. So I guess I'm pumping gas in at 8,314 MPH.

I mean it's a rate so you can use whatever unit you want. The miles are a quantitative unit and the hour would be a unit of time. So miles/hour would be a perfectly acceptable way to measure how much range you are receiving per unit time.

I don't see what the issue is?

PFMeCA1.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be worth mentioning that EV's aren't representing higher sales because they are hella expensive. With Honda introducing a more attainable and affordable EV model, it'll be interesting to see how that 2% will change.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP is about the first launch of the Falcon Heavy lift vehicle.

First launches of a new rocket are always somewhat risky and you can't expect paying customers to take a chance with their precious cargo on an unproven launch system.
The usual practice would be to demonstrate the capabilities of the new rocket by heaving an expendable throw weight a designated distance and speed.

In this case Musk grabbed the opportunity to launch his older model Tesla into an elliptical orbit, that is nearly eternal, in the vicinity of Mars.
By doing so he captured an iconic photo...

Elon_Musk%27s_Tesla_Roadster_%2840110297852%29.jpg

That STEM students all over the world can pin on their dorm walls right next to their iconic einstein photo.

49e804c72973258d8275be8e23eb9a5d--albert-einstein-oeuvres.jpg

It was marketing genius that few other people would have conceived.

As a photographer you must appreciate that pic.

Perhaps one could "appreciate" a photo more if it weren't for the existence of photo enhancing software. How do we know that photo is authentic?

Latest posts

Top Bottom