Elon Musk terminates offer to buy Twitter…🤣

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in almost any corporation, large or small, or factory or industrial setting i've been in, the people at the bottom are always working the hardest, actually getting the most product per hour, accomplishing the most tasks, etc etc. this would include tons of factories around oklahoma.

the people in the "ideas" economy do doubt have FAR more "down time" whether they'd admit it or not.
There are definitely far fewer "tasks" associated with management positions. The thing I have come to appreciate on this side of the hall versus the individual contributor side is how much responsibility, war gaming, discussions with other management, discussions with people in the industry but outside of the company, etc. happen to make sure we are steering our groups in a direction to be successful and thrive. Heck, I probably spend at least 16-24 hours a month just sitting on various calls and Teams meetings for topics affecting the industry as a whole to make sure we have game plans in place for changes that may be coming. Couple that with individual development for the guys on my team to make sure they are given opportunities to also pursue their individual goals within the company and providing mentoring as needed, it really all starts to add up but isn't too apparent to the guys actually putting their hands on equipment and doing the call outs.

The other part I never really appreciated is if we should somehow end up in court over a business deal, I am the one that gets put on the stand to defend our department and why we do things the way we do them and how we operate 100% within contractual and regulatory guidelines. Granted I put a high value on how my name is received in our industry as a whole and have never knowingly provided direction or done anything that I couldn't stand behind 100%, that still adds a little extra pressure on top of everything else.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Working from home” at 3:45 pm on OSA but spends far more time after 5 pm working? 😂
You seem to be applying production work kind of logic to this. His job is probably not to put widget A into widget B all day.

In my experience of working with 'remote' workers for the last 20 years, good workers suited to remote work get more done at home than they would in an office. Some people aren't suited to work from home but that becomes apparent quickly enough.

For the employer, if you can find the right people, it's a win across the board. Workers get some flexibility that they appreciate, and it doesn't cost the employer anything.

For me, I need something done. It typically doesn't matter if it's done at 3pm or 3 am. And if they are getting it done by working an hour and posting an hour on osa, who cares?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to be applying production work kind of logic to this. His job is probably not to put widget A into widget B all day.

In my experience of working with 'remote' workers for the last 20 years, good workers suited to remote work get more done at home than they would in an office. Some people aren't suited to work from home but that becomes apparent quickly enough.

For the employer, if you can find the right people, it's a win across the board. Workers get some flexibility that they appreciate, and it doesn't cost the employer anything.

For me, I need something done. It typically doesn't matter if it's done at 3pm or 3 am. And if they are getting it done by working an hour and posting an hour on osa, who cares?

Yep. I’m in sales. We’re not paid by the hour. We are paid to perform to a number. Whether that takes 20 hours or 80 hours a week, my boss doesn’t care. Meet the number, you’re good. Miss it, go on performance improvement plan.

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Everyone thinks their job is essential and they can do it from anywhere it seems. I’m sure no one is screwing off on company time and I was mistaken. Guess I’ve been retired too long, I need one of these essential positions. I think I could struggle thru and get the work done timely. Maybe Musk will hire me as CEO.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Not everyone digs ditches and has to be on location with shovel in hand every day.

Maybe you did and it's why you can't comprehend any thing else?
Nope. Musk and I agree that many working from home should be at work. Some jobs as some have posted are probably best done by phone and computer.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
He is clueless.
Sure are a lot of people who don’t like the idea of not being able to work from home. I realize times have changed and everyone posting here this morning is working at astronomical levels of productivity. Thank you for clueing me in.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Everyone thinks their job is essential and they can do it from anywhere it seems. I’m sure no one is screwing off on company time and I was mistaken. Guess I’ve been retired too long, I need one of these essential positions. I think I could struggle thru and get the work done timely. Maybe Musk will hire me as CEO.
>screwing off on "company time"
yeah see this is the thinking where you are wrong. it's not company time. that's what we are saying. working from home is a different animal, it's not a factory setting like Lucy and the conveyor belt. i already said if you have a job like that, obviously working from home doesn't make sense.

i still have obligations to meet clients at certain places at certain times. i *assure you* i'm not "browsing OSA" at those hours.

like many others have said, if you send me an e-mail or even call me at 2 am, hell i'll probably answer it. why would anyone do that if they weren't "in the office"? i've had several clients who liked it, saying they would go home for the day, knowing that my files would be waiting for them when they showed up in the morning. this is actually *much* preferable to the "working in the office" model which USUALLY generates a product AT THE END of a shift.

lets be real here, how many of those *actually important e-mails that contain important documents or files* are you getting at 3 pm or later? all of them? right, because get this, *that was all the REAL work someone had that day, and guess what? they spent ALL DAY just waiting until the afternoon to send you that.*

and what can you do with it at 3 pm? nothing. so you don't. you wait until the next day to go over it with your team.

clients send me files at 3 pm. i work all afternoon, evening, sometimes night, get them files ready for the next morning. they have them, all of their team is there in the morning, they can go over my work immediately, etc etc.

i don't have to justify my work to you, again, trust me it speaks for itself. my clients could afford literally anyone in the world (some of them did) and they pay me. not many places in oklahoma taking business from the real fancy art shops in New York City or LA but I am. so yeah.

Last edited:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. Musk and I agree that many working from home should be at work. Some jobs as some have posted are probably best done by phone and computer.
And I completely agree with that. Some positions HAVE to be done in an office setting to be effective. When I was approached for my current position, I let them know what I thought would be compromised by bringing on someone that is this far away to lead a team that has to be hands on. Apparently they thought what I could bring to the table was worth it because they hired me anyway and my compensation package has improved every year that I have been here. The truth of the matter is that I would rather go to an office 5 days a week. I like the shift in mindset and focus when I go to a place dedicated to working. It is why I struggle staying disciplined working out in a home gym. My specific issue is my office would have to either be in Denver or Wyoming for that to be a possibility and this job doesnt pay enough to relocate my wife and kids. The company agreed and chose to hire me anyway.

I don't think you are clueless as that implies a negative connotation to your willingness to understand. I just think there are so many types of jobs and so many nuances in companies and their needs that we can't make direct correlations between what we have seen first hand and any other type of scenario.

Latest posts

Top Bottom