Emergency Heat Strips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do they not make a heat pump furnace with gas as the back up???? i wish i had a floor furnace also. i may have to look into installing one because it wouldn't require electricity to work normally.

Also look into gas wall furnaces. One can get some that are "two-sided" that could be heating two rooms instead of just one. One house we lived in had a two-sided one in one wall of the living room that also heated three bedrooms just opposite of that living room.

Gas Wall Furnace1.jpg
Gas Wall Furnace2.jpg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that I missed the part of why you’re not running off the grid and using a generator instead.
I must be missing something🥴. Guess I’m not living “off-grid” for the same reason the other 99.99932% of Americans who don’t live off-grid aren’t.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, that’s not a thermostat setting, just how hot the little gas fireplace keeps that area (family room, kitchen and kitchenette) if I leave it on. I turn it on and off throughout the day, no need to burn anymore LPG than is necessary.
I use my gas log fireplace to heat throughout the winter with a space heater in the bedroom and one in the master bath. My front bedrooms are kept closed since I dont use them. I put a thermostat on it and that works out well.

https://www.amazon.com/Durablow-TR1...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my gas log fireplace to heat throughout the winter with a space heater in the bedroom and one in the master bath. My front bedrooms are kept closed since I dont use them. I put a thermostat on it and that works out well.

https://www.amazon.com/Durablow-TR1...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
closing those bedrooms is good unless they have an exterior wall that has an outside faucet. Those faucets would need some room heat for protection in these kind of temps.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
since we are total electric, the heat pump was our best solution ( didn't want to mess with propane ). I put in this stove which will heat the whole house. Turn on the fan of the h/a and it is distributed throughout the house. The resistance heating never comes on. Today the stove is @ 500 degrees. If you have access to wood as I, you might focus on something like this in the future.

View attachment 331515
These little gems really do work and can save tons off the electric bill, and though this is a specific BRAND, there are several other brands, types, and sizes available.

https://skaats.com/will-a-stove-fan-actually-make-your-home-warmer/

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
closing those bedrooms is good unless they have an exterior wall that has an outside faucet. Those faucets would need some room heat for protection in these kind of temps.
Correct but mine do not have any water going to them. My front bathroom has 1 external wall but the faucet is on the other end of that room.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do they not make a heat pump furnace with gas as the back up???? i wish i had a floor furnace also. i may have to look into installing one because it wouldn't require electricity to work normally.
Yes every hvac manufacturer have dual fuel systems. Basically a heat pump for heating and cooling and the natural gas/propane furnace for whatever temperature you lock out the heat pump, the furnace also kicks in when the heat pump is defrosting. These systems are pretty efficient depending on which seer and afue rating you choose. The higher the numbers are means more savings on your bills. The upfront cost can be expensive though. Yes they still make floor furnaces but I have never had anyone request one to be installed, we just remove them.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that a HP is very inefficient at temps below freezing. Wood or resistant heat is a better option for the upcoming front.
Very true, but they will still try to keep running unless you be sure to flip your thermostat to "Emergency Heat Only." No need in running your heat pump below 30' or so to load up your generator. Like me, electric is my only option. My fire place does not have an outside air intake. I have some portable box heaters I can put on my 6500W generator with cords strung through the house with doors taped up if needed. I had to do that several years ago. Afterward I made a good list for the future. Your electric hot water tank will still do a hot shower, something to think about if it might be the last one for a few days. Refrigerators and freezers ran a couple hours each day will usually be OK, stuff like that. Good Luck to you.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going with a gas furnace would have been a nice option…..however!! 😉 The units are in the walk-in attics on the 3rd story and gas is only plumbed to the range top (Kitchen) that has a common wall with the fireplace in the Living Room, and the fireplace in the Family Room (both second story). Difficult to make those kind of changes after the fact. If only I’d been born rich instead of being so good lookin’ 😂

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for the Propane guys.

Let me try and word this correctly.
How much would it cost monthly to run a propane furnace?

I ask because I have a rent house my son lives in and it is all electric NO natural gas meter.
Man the electric bills.
I see 100 gallons a month of usage on the internet for propane furnace but is that real?
And would that cost quite a bit a month.
Almost seems that electric is not any more expensive .

Latest posts

Top Bottom