Empty store shelves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandparents got married in 1933, had three kids by 1939. They said you could get a 50# sack of hominy grits for a nickel, if you could get the nickel. Shortages started in 1929, and continued until about 1946. Seems to me the rationing started in 1941, but I could be wrong.
Mom & Dad married in '36, and they described things pretty much the same.

Fortunately, they were country folks with chickens and milk cows (GrandDad had a dairy), and Dad said there was a rabbit under almost every bush back then.
___

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mom & Dad married in '36, and they described things pretty much the same.

Fortunately, they were country folks with chickens and milk cows (GrandDad had a dairy), and Dad said there was a rabbit under almost every bush back then.
___

I remember in the early 60s when my grandparents finally "got electric" to their barn (grandpa was a dairy farmer in Muskogee). They didn't get electric to the house until the next year. My grandma teased my grandpa mercifully that she knew which girls she had to keep an eye.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m getting tired of averaging two grocery store trips to find my creamer. This last week I was making chili. The girlfriend likes to eat her chili like a frito chili pie, so I went to go grab some Fritos. Three grocery stores and two gas stations later I finally found some. And it was the only bag in the entire gas station. Has frito discontinued regular corn chips? The same thing happened the last two times I tried to make chili, one of those times she just had to go without.
Big scoop Fritos above these. They also had a mid aisle free standing display full of Fritos.
20220215_180152.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The price of groceries is out of hand. And gas. Can't make a living and buy what you need anymore.

We shop at Aldi's. A year ago and before we could buy a basket full of groceries, including fresh fruits and vegetables for under $90. The wife just made a trip and it was just over $160 for the same type of stuff that was $90 before. Walmart and the likes are much more expensive.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandparents got married in 1933, had three kids by 1939. They said you could get a 50# sack of hominy grits for a nickel, if you could get the nickel. Shortages started in 1929, and continued until about 1946. Seems to me the rationing started in 1941, but I could be wrong.

My grandparents married in Sept '29.
Papa had a huge garden until the day he passed, on '80.

That generation had gardens, picked fruit, knew how to preserve, had chickens, raised pigs and cattle, hunted and fished. They took care of their needs theirselves.

Today, few have gardens, know how to process meat, don't hunt or fish. If it wasn't for McD or Taco Hell, they would starve.

Things may (will) get bad quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom