Engine locked up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oops, it was supposed to say not shift. It was a drt. Tapped on starter but it would just click one time. I’ll drop the starter and see what that does.
OK, DRT. Where are you located? I have a color snake camera you can use to look inside the spark plug holes. I cannot travel though, I'm still getting over the shingles.

Or you can get one at Harbor Freight. It has really come in handy hundreds of times since I bought it.

1661891673453.png
It has an LED light on the end and you can adjust it.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, DRT. Where are you located? I have a color snake camera you can use to look inside the spark plug holes. I cannot travel though, I'm still getting over the shingles.

Or you can get one at Harbor Freight. It has really come in handy hundreds of times since I bought it.

View attachment 299025It has an LED light on the end and you can adjust it.
Thank you for the offer. I'm out west in Cheyenne area. He is looking at replacing it w/a 5.3.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oops, it was supposed to say not shift. It was a drt. Tapped on starter but it would just click one time. I’ll drop the starter and see what that does.
Transmission won't shift so they rev the poop out of it trying to get it to go somewhere and lock it all the way up. The starter isn't going to keep a breaker bar from turning the engine either way. Drain the oil and you should see grey matter in the mix. 190K miles is a lot if it's the new style truck with AFM lifters.

JH47

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Transmission won't shift so they rev the poop out of it trying to get it to go somewhere and lock it all the way up. The starter isn't going to keep a breaker bar from turning the engine either way. Drain the oil and you should see grey matter in the mix. 190K miles is a lot if it's the new style truck with AFM lifters.
4.8s don't have AFM.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you once again for your help in this matter. You are right, it wouldn't shift and he took it to 6k rpm. What does the grey matter tell me? Water in it or something else. Will draining and replacing the oil unlock the engine or is it rebuild or different engine time?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you once again for your help in this matter. You are right, it wouldn't shift and he took it to 6k rpm. What does the grey matter tell me? Water in it or something else. Will draining and replacing the oil unlock the engine or is it rebuild or different engine time?
Grey matter is the engine bearings. Time for a new engine (and trans).

Latest posts

Top Bottom