Engine Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but as cheap as those cars are getting, you would be better off selling and buying a GT. Almost the entire engine harness is different as well as the bellhousing pattern.

Your best bet would be to buy a totaled GT and put a 3v in it if the car has sentimental value.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, engine swaps are a pain with newer vehicles. If the harness is not the same the computer will not be either. Same with the motor mounts and probably even the transmission. You will also need to change the complete exhaust system since the V6 will likely have tubing that will restrict the V8 and even the radiator may be different. Could also be different mounting for the power steering and AC.

If you have the time, money and knowledge as well as want to do a project with your son over a couple months I would say go for it. If you are just thinking it would be a cheap way to upgrade I would agree with selling the current one and finding a V8 version that you can do some upgrades on.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, engine swaps are a pain with newer vehicles. If the harness is not the same the computer will not be either. Same with the motor mounts and probably even the transmission. You will also need to change the complete exhaust system since the V6 will likely have tubing that will restrict the V8 and even the radiator may be different. Could also be different mounting for the power steering and AC.

If you have the time, money and knowledge as well as want to do a project with your son over a couple months I would say go for it. If you are just thinking it would be a cheap way to upgrade I would agree with selling the current one and finding a V8 version that you can do some upgrades on.

We got the car cheap, it has a salvage title; so it would be a project for him and I. I think it would make a great car to build a race car into. Not trying to get all crazy like anything on them street outlaws, just something with some power to play with. I've been doing some research and it has been saying to change motor, transmission (can't say tranny anymore without offending some fragile person), go to a GT driveshaft and rear end, wiring harness, computer, hood (the 5.4 is too tall) and the a/c lines. Other than that, it seems everything else is suppose to fit according to the internet and we know everything on there is true....Bonjour!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do it on TV in about 30-45 minutes
LOL Yep, with a few hours of prep work a nice big fancy lift and a whole bunch of people to help. The easiest engine swap I ever helped on was a 1957 Chevy Belair. The engine mount is bolted to the front of the block and pretty much just sits in place. You can crawl in and put the hood down on that thing and still work with room to spare. We pulled a 400 small block engine and trans out and dropped a 454 big block in it's place that was pulled from a 80's suburban. That still took the two of us about 6 hours not including pulling the engine and trans from the suburban.

Well if you got it cheap and can find the parts out of a wrecked one it should be cool. I would honestly look for one of the 4.6L myself. Probably be a little nicer on gas when you stay off the pedal and still put down some tire marks when you want to. Plus the 5.4 only adds a few ponies over the 4.6 in most years Ford 4.6L & 5.4L Specs | Ford Modular V-8 But if you have the cash to pick up a crate engine one of the 5.0L Coyote engines would be the spot to hit right now unless you can get one of the factory supercharged versions cheap.

Ford Performance 5.0L Coyote Crate Engines | Ford Performance

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already have the suspension and brakes set up. I'm looking for one of the engines out of the Lincoln navigators. 5.4 4v, supposedly it's the same block that's in the GT500's and you can get a supercharger that bolts right on too. One would think the GT500 add-ons should go on as well?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
supercharger would need a lot more fuel...not only injectors and fuel pump but their is a chance the factory v6 fuel lines are smaller too and would need replaced. You seem to already have your mind made up to go ahead with the project...and i hate to be a debbie downer but I have to cast another vote for sell it and buy a v8 car.

Latest posts

Top Bottom