English makes no sense.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
52595338_10216960880906817_2978144341819654144_n.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be because of the change of the source word.

Origin of foreign
1200–50; Middle English forein < Old French forain, forein < Vulgar Latin *forānus, derivative of Latin forās outside

It also depends on which language the word in question comes from as some words that are borrowed from other languages are spelled as they would have been in the other language.

You want a real conundrum start looking at languages with gender inflections. For instance Die, Das and Der are all "The" in Deutsche. So Die Frau is the woman, Der Mann is the man, and Das Madchen is the girl, now with that you would think that a young child would be Das which is the neutral gender inflection but you would be wrong. Der Junge is the boy, Madchen isn't really even girl it's technically maiden or maid but over centuries the word for girl which probably would have been Die for a feminine inflection was lost or changed. Das can also be used as this or that along with the but this or that can also be Dass. And while Die can mean the in a feminine way it can also mean the for multiples, Der Mann is the man however Die Männer is the men. And I am a layman, there are tons of other things I don't even know yet. I do know that when kids learn to speak and spell in Germany and other Deutsche speaking countries they actually learn them in their pairs, so things, people, places, etc are always learned with their gender inflected the.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Gaelic, then Latin influence, then later Dane (Viking) influence has the English language all messed up'

And NO BODY but a Scotsman can understand ANYTHING a Scotsman says!!!!!

Don't forget Celtic, French, Greek, Norman, Spanish, Italian, Native American Languages, German, Norse, Dutch, Hebrew, Yiddish, Portuguese, and Arabic influences as well....

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then if you add the redneck influence, it can get complicated, or more clear depending on your attitude. Ha Ha Thanks to the OP, never ending convolutions here on OSA to think about. Guess that's part of what keeps our interest.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be because of the change of the source word.

Origin of foreign
1200–50; Middle English forein < Old French forain, forein < Vulgar Latin *forānus, derivative of Latin forās outside

It also depends on which language the word in question comes from as some words that are borrowed from other languages are spelled as they would have been in the other language.

You want a real conundrum start looking at languages with gender inflections. For instance Die, Das and Der are all "The" in Deutsche. So Die Frau is the woman, Der Mann is the man, and Das Madchen is the girl, now with that you would think that a young child would be Das which is the neutral gender inflection but you would be wrong. Der Junge is the boy, Madchen isn't really even girl it's technically maiden or maid but over centuries the word for girl which probably would have been Die for a feminine inflection was lost or changed. Das can also be used as this or that along with the but this or that can also be Dass. And while Die can mean the in a feminine way it can also mean the for multiples, Der Mann is the man however Die Männer is the men. And I am a layman, there are tons of other things I don't even know yet. I do know that when kids learn to speak and spell in Germany and other Deutsche speaking countries they actually learn them in their pairs, so things, people, places, etc are always learned with their gender inflected the.

That explains some of the stuff I’ve been studying.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That explains some of the stuff I’ve been studying.

Yeah learning a language is very interesting. English actually has a lot of nuances and connecting words that make it difficult for others to learn. IMHO the easiest language for someone who speaks English to learn would be dutch as it is a step between German and English. Once you pick up Dutch, German will come very quickly, in fact often times people who speak Dutch and German can have some conversations without any help the change is often in spelling and a few changes in layout so written between the two is the most different.

I have been half working on German for a couple years now and am about half way through the lessons on Duolingo. After that I am going to hit rosetta stone and by the time I am done with that I will hopefully be close to C1 in German. If I do get there I may just go to school with Luftshana

Latest posts

Top Bottom