English makes no sense.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want to try a fun language for conjugation? Try russian. Every fricken word it seems has 7 conjugations: Past, Present, Future for both male and female plus one neutral that works for all three time references. I squeaked out a C- in that class. Kinda fun to learn, but harder than hell to memorize.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah learning a language is very interesting. English actually has a lot of nuances and connecting words that make it difficult for others to learn. IMHO the easiest language for someone who speaks English to learn would be dutch as it is a step between German and English. Once you pick up Dutch, German will come very quickly, in fact often times people who speak Dutch and German can have some conversations without any help the change is often in spelling and a few changes in layout so written between the two is the most different.

I have been half working on German for a couple years now and am about half way through the lessons on Duolingo. After that I am going to hit rosetta stone and by the time I am done with that I will hopefully be close to C1 in German. If I do get there I may just go to school with Luftshana

I’m using the Duolingo too.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, I am on an 86 day streak but haven't actually done it in almost two weeks. Kept racking up the currency so I could finish out the month and still keep the streak frozen. The one thing I noticed is that the new system encourages people to just run through and not really absorb things so you can sit at the top of the leader board. I think I have something like 9300 score and 123 lessons done. I do each one at least twice before moving on so when I actually complete the whole thing I will have actually done it twice.

Reaction score
Yep. Gaelic, then Latin influence, then later Dane (Viking) influence has the English language all messed up'

And NO BODY but a Scotsman can understand ANYTHING a Scotsman says!!!!!
English is in the Germanic family of European languages. German and Dutch are sister languages. The Norman conquest injected a lot of French terms into our language.

Latest posts

Top Bottom