Engrave??? or not to Engrave??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelshunde

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it seems like most individuals engrave their Name, City and State on their sbr's. I just spoke with an atf agent at the Oklahoma City field office and he said it is not required for me to engrave anything on my lmt lower. He said as long as long as my form 1 says "Lewis Machine & Tool" as the original manufacturer of firearm/reciever. And He said to enter Defender 2000 into the model section(4d).

Has anyone spoken recently with the ATF and recieved a diffferent answer??? I think their policy about engraving may have changed...
Thanks

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it seems like most individuals engrave their Name, City and State on their sbr's. I just spoke with an atf agent at the Oklahoma City field office and he said it is not required for me to engrave anything on my lmt lower. He said as long as long as my form 1 says "Lewis Machine & Tool" as the original manufacturer of firearm/reciever. And He said to enter Defender 2000 into the model section(4d).

Has anyone spoken recently with the ATF and recieved a diffferent answer??? I think their policy about engraving may have changed...
Thanks

You might want to speak with someone at the NFA office.
304-616-4500

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get SBR lowers on a Form 4. My Tromix 8" SBS is on a Form 4 and doesn't have my Trust name engraved on it. It does have Tromix engraved as the maker. I believe that if you do your SBR on a Form 1 (you being the maker), you have to have your info engraved on it. Field office agents are notorious for giving incorrect information. You definitely need to address this with the NFA office directly.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get SBR lowers on a Form 4. My Tromix 8" SBS is on a Form 4 and doesn't have my Trust name engraved on it. It does have Tromiz engraved as the maker. I believe that if you do your SBR on a Form 1 (you being the maker), you have to have your info engraved on it. Field office agents are notorious for giving incorrect information. You definitely need to address this with the NFA office directly.

I understand the rules the same way. So, unless LMT registered that lower with the NFA as an SBR when they manufactured it, it will have to be engraved. My SBR's have MAS Gunworks engraved on them, they were the maker, then transferred to me via form 4.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get SBR lowers on a Form 4. My Tromix 8" SBS is on a Form 4 and doesn't have my Trust name engraved on it. It does have Tromix engraved as the maker. I believe that if you do your SBR on a Form 1 (you being the maker), you have to have your info engraved on it. Field office agents are notorious for giving incorrect information. You definitely need to address this with the NFA office directly.

LMT made the Title 1 gun. When you file a Form 1 then YOU are the maker of the Title 2 SBR, not LMT. What Glocktogo stated above is 100% correct.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Form 1 that went pending around the first of April that listed nothing in block 4h. If it gets approved, I'm not engraving a thing.

Rob

Teufelshunde

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. I just called the NFA Office and I was told my info needed to be engraved on it. I'll be getting the engraving done shortly. Does anyone know of someone in Tulsa that can do the engraving besides B&H engraving?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Form 1 that went pending around the first of April that listed nothing in block 4h. If it gets approved, I'm not engraving a thing.

Rob

I will bet that it does get approved, however that would not "prove" that engraving is not required. There were a lot of folks who submitted form 1's to build MG's after the Stewart [sp] ruling a few years ago and some were actually approved! It did not make these MG's suddenly become transferables (ATF found out they had erred and corrected that error fast). I do not understand why folks are opposed to getting their info engraved. Could you please give us your reasons why you don't want to do it?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see that future resale would be affected by having your info engraved on the lower. You might even be better off selling the components and destroying the lower or reverting it to a Title 1 gun.

I know that Daniel Defense has done runs of Form 3/4 registered SBR lowers. Those would obviously be preferrable for resale value as nothing but the Daniel Defense info would be on the receiver. I may go that route when I get around to doing an SBR lower. I want one in case I ever decide to sell my RR M16, but want to keep the short upper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom