Engraved Colt 41 ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That right grip panel shows a significant amount of wear either from carry or from use or both. Some of the screws have been turned and show some wear. Those things would be normal for a 120 year old gun.

Does the bore match the exterior wear? Those old guns, especially if they used blackpowder a lot, were prone to pitting. It wasn't uncommon after the finish got bad to have them plated or engraved to hide flaws. That's just speculation on your piece as it's hard to say without taking it apart and looking inside.

Either way you have a gun that's probably worth a minimum of $3k, give or take a little. And it'll just go up from there.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a very experienced Colt to me. I have to defer to JEVapa for particulars. Second order cool is off the charts though. When I was in elementary school we actually had gun books in the school library. I used to drool over the pictures of factory Colts engraved in that style. Weird, I still do it appears.

My imagination tells me it was a gift from one oil/cattleman to another in the first part of the last century. They did the only logical thing. Dropped it in a holster and it became a daily companion for years on end.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even the screws appear to be engraved. It doesn’t appear to have any turn line on it. Would appear that it is timed correctly and the previous owner knew how to manipulate the hammer if it was cocked much.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those are the o
Even the screws appear to be engraved. It doesn’t appear to have any turn line on it. Would appear that it is timed correctly and the previous owner knew how to manipulate the hammer if it was cocked much.
If those are the original stocks, I’d say it was handled plenty. They don’t appear to be worn in a single point to indicate resting wear. Whoever owned it wasn’t a cherry to ‘73 Colts. However, whoever put pliers on the cylinder pin is in desperate need of a 48 hour session with four feet of garden hose.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That right grip panel looks like wear from rubbing against the side of whomever was carrying it. I'd like to see the left side. It's oftentimes possible to tell if the owner was right or left handed just looking at the wear on grips.

There's wear in the plating(?) or finish around the muzzle on the left side. Not a lot, but it's there. Or appears that way from the photo.

The cylinder pin is pretty buggered up.

The screw (mainspring ?) on the bottom of the grip and the middle screw on the left side of the frame are buggered a bit.

To the OP... I'm not pointing these things out to detract or diminish this gorgeous gun you have. Only to illustrate that this wasn't a showpiece it's entire life. Personally, I find having a gun with history more intriguing than having a gun that sat in a padded case for 120 years. Unfortunately, though, these things will detract from the value for an informed buyer looking for a collector piece.

LarryM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That right grip panel shows a significant amount of wear either from carry or from use or both. Some of the screws have been turned and show some wear. Those things would be normal for a 120 year old gun.

Does the bore match the exterior wear? Those old guns, especially if they used blackpowder a lot, were prone to pitting. It wasn't uncommon after the finish got bad to have them plated or engraved to hide flaws. That's just speculation on your piece as it's hard to say without taking it apart and looking inside.

Either way you have a gun that's probably worth a minimum of $3k, give or take a little. And it'll just go up from there.

Hey! I'm trying to gain more info on what exactly I might have here. Any help is appreciated. I'm having tonlet go of a few pieces. Thanks
Hey! I'm trying to gain more info on what exactly I might have here. Any help is appreciated. I'm having tonlet go of a few pieces. Thanks

LarryM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Black Hawk 44Mag.
Years ago I had a top Master engraver do some engraving on a pistol I had, I wanted to be able to use it and not show any wear, he told me that he would have it Nickel plated and would not show any wear from packing it while hunting, I was worried it would take away from the engraving and he told me it would add to the engraving. The engravers name was Charlie Price, he has sense passed away several years ago, he did the commemorative pistols for John Wayne when he did the movie The Alamo. Charlie was booked up for several years when he did mine and he got it done in 8 months, Charlie liked beer and I was a Beer Distributor so we become good friends, he said one time Jackie Gleason called him from the airport in San Antone, Tx and asked him to come to the air port and pick him up and do some work for him, Charlie told him he was booked up for the next five years and wouldn't come and pick him up, that was the kind of guy Charlie was. On the Cylinder it looks like the engraving was stamped on, I watched him a couple of times and he only used a little hammer and chisel.

Just thought I would add a little to the Engraving, most all is done by machine anymore!

Larry M

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Black Hawk 44Mag.
Years ago I had a top Master engraver do some engraving on a pistol I had, I wanted to be able to use it and not show any wear, he told me that he would have it Nickel plated and would not show any wear from packing it while hunting, I was worried it would take away from the engraving and he told me it would add to the engraving. The engravers name was Charlie Price, he has sense passed away several years ago, he did the commemorative pistols for John Wayne when he did the movie The Alamo. Charlie was booked up for several years when he did mine and he got it done in 8 months, Charlie liked beer and I was a Beer Distributor so we become good friends, he said one time Jackie Gleason called him from the airport in San Antone, Tx and asked him to come to the air port and pick him up and do some work for him, Charlie told him he was booked up for the next five years and wouldn't come and pick him up, that was the kind of guy Charlie was. On the Cylinder it looks like the engraving was stamped on, I watched him a couple of times and he only used a little hammer and chisel.

Just thought I would add a little to the Engraving, most all is done by machine anymore!

Larry M
When I look at that the first thing I think of is ‘can I fall off this mountain, land in that river and not scratch this gun?’

That’s a beut with provenance!

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that's just gorgeous. If you find that it's not just a good reproduction I'd do this:

1) Post it on the Colt Forum, they will figure it out.
2) Renaissance wax it to preserve it just as it is.
3) Maybe see if the JM Davis museum would take a look at it.
https://www.thegunmuseum.com/
Whatever you do that's a great looking piece.
Great advise, it is beautiful

Latest posts

Top Bottom