Enid: AC fires buckshot at dog---another AC off., police off. and bite victim all hit by ricochet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buck and bird shot WILL bounce when they hit a hard surface at an angle. According to the TV story it was a police officer's buck shot that bounced. No intent on his part as I'm sure as he was likely tunnel visioned on the big teeth charging his way. Still sucks to be the inadvertent receptor of the pellets. I'm guessing he did manage to put a stop to the aggressive dog in the process.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buck and bird shot WILL bounce when they hit a hard surface at an angle. According to the TV story it was a police officer's buck shot that bounced. No intent on his part as I'm sure as he was likely tunnel visioned on the big teeth charging his way. Still sucks to be the inadvertent receptor of the pellets. I'm guessing he did manage to put a stop to the aggressive dog in the process.

That makes sense, but I'm just gonna say I've been charged by several dogs (a Great Dane and a couple of pitties, as well as a stinking Toy Poodle that weighed about all of 6-7 pounds -- little ****er -- to name a few) in my lifetime and I didn't have to shoot any of them to put a stop to the threat. I'll also add that I've never been dogbit, though I HAVE been bitten by cats more times that I can remember -- THOSE little ****ers are FAST! LOL A boot to the face or chest will slow down even the stoutest dog, in my fairly extensive experience with them. And I'm not above stomping on a dog's chest once it hits the ground. I don't WANT to hurt any animal, but I'm not getting bit if I can help it.

I also realize that most people didn't grow up dealing with animals the way I did either so it's probably not fair for me to judge, truth be told.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the way I read it, I am pretty sure it was an animal control officer.

Upon rereading the updated article, it was a police officer that shot the dog---sorry about that Annie.

..."Police say the dogs' owner momentarily gained control of the three animals, but one broke free and "charged a police officer." The officer shot the dog with his shotgun, and several pellets from the gun's buckshot round ricocheted off the road and struck an animal control officer, another police officer and the dog bite victim, the press release said."...

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upon rereading the updated article, it was a police officer that shot the dog---sorry about that Annie.

..."Police say the dogs' owner momentarily gained control of the three animals, but one broke free and "charged a police officer." The officer shot the dog with his shotgun, and several pellets from the gun's buckshot round ricocheted off the road and struck an animal control officer, another police officer and the dog bite victim, the press release said."...

Well, I have to say you HAVE made me feel better about being confused! LOL

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A time-honored meter reader technique for controlling dogs is a simple umbrella. Walk the meters in dog country with it closed. Pop it open suddenly if assailed by Mr. Canine. Fireman's trick is a CO2 extinguisher.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A time-honored meter reader technique for controlling dogs is a simple umbrella. Walk the meters in dog country with it closed. Pop it open suddenly if assailed by Mr. Canine. Fireman's trick is a CO2 extinguisher.

Don't cops still carry batons?? Seems like a good pop from a metal rod would be effective, and a lot safer for anyone else around. I've seen the effects of pepper spray on a dog, too. That put a stop to any forward motion IMMEDIATELY. And the only damage any of the people standing there (2 of us and the cop with the pepper spray) was a little coughing, spitting and teared up eyes from overspray. Dog was gone like a shot! LOL

The thing is I can think of a lot of ways to stop a dog without resorting to firing off a firearm of any kind. But, again, I realize if you've never been charged by a dog before it can be a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Obviously, he thought it was the best option at the time. And who knows, it might have been.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
99% of Enid is a shithole,
The thing is I can think of a lot of ways to stop a dog without resorting to firing off a firearm of any kind. But, again, I realize if you've never been charged by a dog before it can be a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Obviously, he thought it was the best option at the time. And who knows, it might have been.
But you're not a trained hammer

Latest posts

Top Bottom