ENID, OK: Wall of Honor acquires Kansas museum's military memorabilia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
While in Pratt, KS I was in the Jaycees and on the airshow committee. I assisted with the efforts to have a 50 year reunion of the remaining B-29 personnel that trained on the B-26 and B-29 in Pratt. We had to use documents from the airbase and the Pratt County Historical Society and Museum to find the names of the personnel that were trained there. The Jaycees banded together and 6 months before the airshow, we had ntacted about 50+ surviving members and invited them back to Pratt. We had 10 former pilots and a tail gunner show up. We treated them like

royalty with free rooms and meals and transportation wherever they wanted to go or wherever they wanted to visit. ied to get FiFI
Through the airshow committee, we had a special surprise for them. A fellow out of Wichita, Doug "Hollywood" Jackson, had converted a T-6 Texan training plane into a replica of a Mitsubushi A6M Zero. His plane, Tora 101, was one of the Zeros used in the film Tora Tora Tora. He even had acetylene machine guns and a smoke device. He came in and instead of landing like everyone else, he strafed the field. We had previously helped him set up his pyrotechnics on the far side of the runway. The B-29 guys didn't much like that until here came a P-38 Lightning to the rescue and after a 5 minute dogfight, shot down the Zero. Our bomber guys cheered! So did my dad.

1650252096748.png

I had a connection to Offut AFB (my father-in-law) and he sent all sorts of souvenirs related to B29s including drink glasses and coffee mugs, T shirts, polo shirts, posters, etc, We sold them and gave the profits to the museum and a plaque to each of the reunion attendees along with a souvenir package which was a transcript of all the meetings we had getting ready for this reunion.

You can see a copy of the plaque in this photo behind the black rubber B-26 they used for friend/foe identification. The B-29 plastic model flying in front of the sign in the top middle I made and donated to the museum.

1650250767992.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While in Pratt, KS I was in the Jaycees and on the airshow committee. I assisted with the efforts to have a 50 year reunion of the remaining B-29 personnel that trained on the B-26 and B-29 in Pratt. We had to use documents from the airbase and the Pratt County Historical Society and Museum to find the names of the personnel that were trained there. The Jaycees banded together and 6 months before the airshow, we had ntacted about 50+ surviving members and invited them back to Pratt. We had 10 former pilots and a tail gunner show up. We treated them like

royalty with free rooms and meals and transportation wherever they wanted to go or wherever they wanted to visit. ied to get FiFI
Through the airshow committee, we had a special surprise for them. A fellow out of Wichita, Doug "Hollywood" Jackson, had converted a T-6 Texan training plane into a replica of a Mitsubushi A6M Zero. His plane, Tora 101, was one of the Zeros used in the film Tora Tora Tora. He even had acetylene machine guns and a smoke device. He came in and instead of landing like everyone else, he strafed the field. We had previously helped him set up his pyrotechnics on the far side of the runway. The B-29 guys didn't much like that until here came a P-38 Lightning to the rescue and after a 5 minute dogfight, shot down the Zero. Our bomber guys cheered! So did my dad.

View attachment 266788

I had a connection to Offut AFB (my father-in-law) and he sent all sorts of souvenirs related to B29s including drink glasses and coffee mugs, T shirts, polo shirts, posters, etc, We sold them and gave the profits to the museum and a plaque to each of the reunion attendees along with a souvenir package which was a transcript of all the meetings we had getting ready for this reunion.

You can see a copy of the plaque in this photo behind the black rubber B-26 they used for friend/foe identification. The B-29 plastic model flying in front of the sign in the top middle I made and donated to the museum.

View attachment 266785
Very awesome!

Latest posts

Top Bottom