Entry Level 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had considered a Garrison or the new Operator, but I am really looking for a Commander sized 1911. Started looking at the Dan Wesson Vigil Commanders. They have a lot of the features I am interested at a reasonable price. Such a rabbit hole when you start looking at all the options.

Dave

Dan Wesson is hard to beat.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After having a kimber with an external extractor, it’s really hard to want any 1911 with an external extractor,.
You are the first person I've ever seen complain about the Kimber external extractor AND the external extractor on all other 1911s...like Sig and S&W. Most people just complained about the Kimber but thought it was OK on other guns.

I sold plenty of Kimbers with the external extractor and no one ever complained. But they didn't last long...I guess lots of other people did complain.

But I'm with you. I don't like them. Not because they don't work, necessarily, but because it's almost like blasphemy to do that to St John's gun.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are the first person I've ever seen complain about the Kimber external extractor AND the external extractor on all other 1911s...like Sig and S&W. Most people just complained about the Kimber but thought it was OK on other guns.

I sold plenty of Kimbers with the external extractor and no one ever complained. But they didn't last long...I guess lots of other people did complain.

But I'm with you. I don't like them. Not because they don't work, necessarily, but because it's almost like blasphemy to do that to St John's gun.
Hmm, you may want to reread my post ;)

They seem to work fine on sigs and sw. 100% My experiences with Kimbers biased me against external extractors. SPDguns ouldnt have recommended a Sig 1911 if they didn’t work.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After having a kimber with an external extractor, it’s really hard to want any 1911 with an external extractor,.

Kimber's EE was quite a bit different and not a good example. They went through 4 designs before dropping it all together. Other companies have been successful. Although I will say that S&W's first go at it, had issues too. They then switched to the larger "E" extractor that was significantly wider. The original one was a thin EE that sat too high on the rim.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got a little carried away thinking my bid wouldn’t win it…but I just won a S&W 1911SC E-Series. How did I do?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921027754

I think you'll enjoy your new pistol quite a bit.

Have to watch out those low bids that "will never win"...I'm the proud owner of a Wilson Combat 1911 that I figured I'd never win. Even with the low purchase price, that one still hurt :D.

Latest posts

Top Bottom