Equifax Hack, were you effected?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you havent looked to see if your information was effected by the Equifax hack, you can check here.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

Funny thing is they are offering a free year of credit monitoring even if you weren't effected.

Eguifax ID theft plan is crooked as a dogs hind leg. In the fine print it states that if your ID is stolen while using their plan, you have no recourse against them. (then what good are they if they aren't accountable at all?)
Speaking of crooked, Just days after the hacking event happened, the CFO (Chief Financial Officer) for the company and one other big whig, dumped 1.8 million in their shares of Equifax (before it tanked) stating they didnt know the hack had happened.
The CFO would be the first one to know.

This is a good one
https://bestcompany.com/identity-theft/company/zander-id-protection

Furthermore, why would anyone want to use the very company that allowed a cyber attack, on information they stole from us (none of us gave them the information that was hacked or gave them permission to have a file on us with sensitive information) to protect our ID.
They couldnt protect it in the first place or this wouldnt have happened.
It would be ludicrous to consider hiring them for anything at all. They are incompetent idiots.
Like having the fox in charge of the hen house.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well according the the link you provided I may have been. I'm wondering if it even checked or if it's just signing up to let them off the hook. When I clicked the final click it didn't pause like it was searching a damn thing, just immediately went to signup. This may be the biggest scam yet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well according the the link you provided I may have been. I'm wondering if it even checked or if it's just signing up to let them off the hook. When I clicked the final click it didn't pause like it was searching a damn thing, just immediately went to signup. This may be the biggest scam yet.
My brother used it and said it was legit. I had the same suspicion as you though. Waiting on an email from them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother used it and said it was legit. I had the same suspicion as you though. Waiting on an email from them.

Let me know what you find. I've been thinking about locking up my credit anyway since I don't take out loans and looking at an ID protection plan. I know I'm not signing up for anything through that bunch.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know what you find. I've been thinking about locking up my credit anyway since I don't take out loans and looking at an ID protection plan. I know I'm not signing up for anything through that bunch.
How does one go about locking up his credit?
I paid off my mortgage last month and as I understand it, with 0 accounts open, like CCs, car loans, mortgage, my score will go to 0 in a year or less. But if I could lock it, I would.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was impacted, but not me. I signed her up for the free monitoring before I saw the below information. I plan to freeze my credit after I refinance my new vehicle with a local credit union.

I don't know if many of you follow Clark Howard, but I trust his direction and use it when applicable.

Clark: Do not sign up for Equifax’s free credit monitoring
Money expert Clark Howard’s advice remains the same: Don’t enroll in TrustedID Premier.

This data breach is so severe that the criminals will be able to use the information they’ve obtained next year, five years from now and beyond, so one year of protection isn’t enough.

“My advice is don’t go to Equifax’s website. Assume you are affected and act accordingly,” Clark said.

Clark says there are two things you should do to protect your identity:
  1. Sign up for Credit Karma’s free credit monitoring to receive alerts if anything suspicious shows up on your TransUnion credit report
  2. Freeze your credit with all three main credit bureaus to restrict access to your credit report and keep the criminals out
Clark said a credit freeze is the only answer in this case. I completed the process on Friday in about 15 minutes using Clark’s step-by-step guide.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/equifax-free-credit-monitoring-data-breach-dont-sign-up/

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does one go about locking up his credit?
I paid off my mortgage last month and as I understand it, with 0 accounts open, like CCs, car loans, mortgage, my score will go to 0 in a year or less. But if I could lock it, I would.

Not totally sure but as I understand it you are blocking credit report inquiries when you lock your credit. So I guess no credit lines or loans will happen with that. You have to do all 3 agencies and there are some fees but they are pretty small.

Latest posts

Top Bottom