Ever been asked to show paperwork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the dude at the counter found out we had suppressors he immediately demanded to see our paperwork. It wasn't a problem, we both had it, but my buddy was kind of azz whipped by it. The guy said "I need to see your paper work right now". Jeff said "you don't need to see it". He said "yes I do". So, Jeff showed him his paperwork while explaining that the only ones we're required to show paperwork to are ATF agents & Law Enforcement.

Who's right, Jeff or the Range employee?
Have you ever been asked to show your stamps?
If we didn't have them with us, then what?
Asked to leave? Turn us in?

Honestly, if you are shooting a Class III firearm and don't have a copy of your paperwork with you, I think that you are asking for a boatload of trouble one day. My opinion, nothing more.

As to your question, every time I have shot at H&H with Class III I have had to show my paperwork to them. Now, I just hand it to them before I ask for a lane.

The first time it happened, I asked them about it. Other than it being their range and their rules, I was told that it was for both the range's protection and mine.

If they have seen my paperwork and verified the serial numbers, they know my firearm is legit. And if anyone else asks them about "the guy on lane 15 with a machine gun", they explain that it is legal and they have verified it as such.

They also explained that if someone were to call the cops and report a machine gun being fired, they could and would intercede before the SWAT team showed up and pulled you off the lane.

I know that several times when I have been there, I have drawn a bit of a crowd in the observation areas (as well as on the lanes) and on more than one occasion, the front desk had to explain to a lookie loo that there was nothing illegal about what I was shooting.

Yeah, the guy at the front might have been a bit more "customer friendly" when requesting your paperwork. At the same time, you guys might have been more proactive in showing it before being asked. This might have been a case of you guys hearing something that wasn't meant, and the front desk guy seeing something he didn't really see.

I keep a laminated copy of my forms in the gun case with the gun during transport or in a notebook. I am more than happy to show copies of my forms, especially if it opens an opportunity to educate folks about Class III ownership.

Dave

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The paperwork request is to eliminate, as much as possible, illegal firearms or suppressors being used.

Yes...it does happen. I have personally witnessed on more than one occasion a shooter scramble for the door after being asked for paperwork when the range staff observes an undeclared machine gun. One guy recently claimed he was simply bump firing, but he checked out and left in about 3 seconds:hyper:

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, we both had paperwork with us. The misunderstanding comes from the fact that niether of us knew anything about the range policy regarding it, there's no signs (that I saw) or anything to let you about an NFA paperwork policy. I've been there dozens of times with nfa items & not shown paperwork. I had my paperwork, just didn't show it because I didn't know they required it. Showing the paperwork is really not a big deal. Now that I know, next time I'm there I'll be sure to show them my paperwork upon check in.
I was just curious if anyone else had ever been asked for it, it looks like some to most have.

No harm, no foul. Like I stated earlier, everything was cool by the time we checked out. Nothing but friendly, polite conversation.

I recieved a PM this morning from a staff mgr at H&H apologizing for the way things went down & requesting the employee's name to initiate some corrective action. I told him while I appreciate it, it's not necessary. Had the emp. been rude or abrasive at check out, it'd be different. But based upon the attitude at check out, I honestly don't feel like the guy was trying to be a terd. It just came across that way at that moment.

Niether Jeff or myself have any hard feelings toward H&H or their staff. H&H is a great place, please don't hesitate to go there.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that they should have taken both of you into a back room and done a full body cavity search to make sure you weren't hiding anymore cans... :rubhands:

Bryon, you're an evil dude. I guess that's why I like you :D

I wasn't "hiding" anything, but Jeff may or may not have been stashing one of those new .45 Ti-Rant's :yikes2:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, would that be checking their cans for cans in the can?

Dave

Couple of folks that I work with could really use a can on their can, but it wouldn't help with the smell. :fart:

Dave,

Wish you could have made it to the range with us yesterday. We had a great time and introduced a few new guys to the joys of NFA ownership.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, would that be checking their cans for cans in the can?

Dave
well played, sir.

I think that they should have taken both of you into a back room and done a full body cavity search to make sure you weren't hiding anymore cans... :rubhands:
I'll take one for the team as long as I get to go fire off some rounds.:tounge2:

Honestly, I don't mind showing my paperwork to anyone.........................when they ask.
It was more of the way he "asked" that kind of twisted me a little.
I understand that policies are in place to keep everything legal and in order, no problem. I just wasn't aware that there were policies for NFA items at H&H.
I like going to H&H. I like shooting my NFA stuff. The funny thing was that I've never had them "ask" before; I take my SBR and Phantom and shoot there often.
The dude was cool after that though. We talked a little about how they performed and what not, no big deal.

Again, to all you "you don't have to shoot there blah blah" folks, Wall never said we have a problem with showing the forms, it's the manner in which we're asked.
Like I said, I'm cool with showing them. Hell, I'm proud of the things I have, so if they want to look, touch, check, shoot, then I'm cool with it.
So, next time, I'll hand them to the guys with my blue card. As long as I know the policy, it's cool.

Farmall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have to carry your original paperwork with you to the range of will a copy suffice?

I've got a multimount on the way. (should be here before the end of the year.).

Just want to be prepared before I go the the range.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A copy will do just fine. I have seen some that made color copies just because that is what they prefer. I would not suggest you carry your original around in the event of it becoming lost.

If you were to ever loose your original Form 4 you could request a certified copy from ATF. It just will not have a stamp on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom