Ever had someone shoot down range while you're changing a target?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happened to a buddy and I today. We were at the 100 yard range and there was a couple a few bays down. Range goes cold to change targets and the lady and my buddy go to check targets. She gets back before my buddy does and the guy picks up his rifle and takes a hip shot down range (literally a hip shot...no aiming or anything). I yell at him to put his **** down and ask wtf he's doing and he realizes what he did...says he didnt see my buddy because a pole was blocking him. She cops an attitude like it was our fault that he shot before checking and making sure the range is going hot. I get irritated at this point so go let the owners know what happened and they kick the couple out...she's still copping attitude while they pack things away (he is apologetic and taking responsibility) We finish shooting for another 20 minutes or so and when we leave the lady is inside still arguing with the owner of the range about it like they had been wronged or it was our fault.
Icing on the cake- they said they were "Tulsa PD Trained"...whatever that means. Officers or took some class I dont know which.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Happened to a buddy and I today. We were at the 100 yard range and there was a couple a few bays down. Range goes cold to change targets and the lady and my buddy go to check targets. She gets back before my buddy does and the guy picks up his rifle and takes a hip shot down range (literally a hip shot...no aiming or anything). I yell at him to put his **** down and ask wtf he's doing and he realizes what he did...says he didnt see my buddy because a pole was blocking him. She cops an attitude like it was our fault that he shot before checking and making sure the range is going hot. I get irritated at this point so go let the owners know what happened and they kick the couple out...she's still copping attitude while they pack things away (he is apologetic and taking responsibility) We finish shooting for another 20 minutes or so and when we leave the lady is inside still arguing with the owner of the range about it like they had been wronged or it was our fault.
Icing on the cake- they said they were "Tulsa PD Trained"...whatever that means. Officers or took some class I dont know which.

I've shot at the TPD range before, and they like to have fun. But shooting while people are downrange isn't something they're trained to do.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the last time I used the range out east of Wagoner about 7 years ago. Damn dumbass punks. Never have set foot out there again and shoot on my own land now.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it's a problem as long as they're aiming at a target. Yeah I've had that happen once, but it was on the other end of the lot and I didn't throw a tantrum.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the fact the guy was apologetic and took responsibility. The chick needs to be tossed for life, or at least banned for a good period of time. The guy sounds much more reasonable.

At our local range, we had one guy sitting down eyeing through his scope while people were downrange - one of the regulars came up and told him he needed to step away from the rifle because it really makes people nervous when you're even handling your rifle at the bench when people are downrange. I agree. I might not have been as harsh as he was (although he wasn't bad at all), but the message needs to be gotten through.

I am all for 1000% strict rules at the range. No f***ing off, no grab-assing, etc. You can have fun without acting like a fool or being careless, but when it comes to people being downrange, there is ZERO room for error.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. She just made the situation worse by trying to pass the blame. I just went back to my table and ignored her while she tried to chew out the range officer (who was by our bench at this point....she was yapping at me and I just kept looking down range).
Aside from the initial reaction of "wtf are you doing" I kept my cool as did my buddy who was the one in danger.

Hope not to run into this couple again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strict rule at our range is no touching your guns while someone is down range.
That being said, one of my guests that had never been there before was fiddling with his rifle while a guy was changing targets. Saw a guy on the other end get the big eyes, causing me to turn around to see what he was looking at.
I was just steps away, so just asked him to stop and step away which he did. It was my fault for not giving a quick safety briefing before the shooting session.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what I'm used to...no touching guns while people are down range. They said they didnt see us...my buddy is 6'5" and I'm 6'6" so that excuse didnt really work for me. They just had tunnelvision goinig and were oblivious to their surroundings. These guys should have known better for sure. They were pretty decked out for newbies (they were both shooting suppressed).

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having money and lots of toys is no substitute for brains. Ever hear about someone buys a brand new really expensive car and proceed to drive off the lot and wreck it. Just google it, tons of video's and articles out there.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a range recently where everyone on the firing line had to clear their weapons (actions open, magazines removed [where applicable], and a little range safety flag [or zip tie] inserted into the chamber), and then step back behind a line on the concrete before anyone was allowed to go down range. It sounds a little extreme, but it is very much preferable to getting shot in the back. I, for one, abhor public ranges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom