Ever see a 22lr rim explode? (Now a 2nd one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remmington Golden Bullet. Bucket of bullets. 1200 rds.

The first 1000 rds or so were just fine. These were both in the last 200ish rds left in the bucket.

I switched to a box of Aguila after the 2nd one. That was in my son's rifle. I'm just glad my son wasn't the one shooting it when it happened. Again, no injuries to anyone or the rifle other than some ringing ears.
Definitely shows the importance of eye protection.
And thanks for showing the ammo container.
For the record, I would have guessed either foreign made ammo or Remington Thundergarbage.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Only times I have had any problems were within BULK AMMO. I do not shoot bulk.
2. Never had a bad Thunderbolt round. My son's Cricket shoots it's best groups with them.
3. Definitely pass them info on to Remington. How old as the bucket? New company, new manufacture or the failing old group?
4. Glad nobody was injured.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Only times I have had any problems were within BULK AMMO. I do not shoot bulk.
2. Never had a bad Thunderbolt round. My son's Cricket shoots it's best groups with them.
3. Definitely pass them info on to Remington. How old as the bucket? New company, new manufacture or the failing old group?
4. Glad nobody was injured.

It was a new bucket that was bought at Walmart about 2-3 months ago.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd definitely let Remington know you had this issue from the same bucket on 2 different guns. You might not be the only one.
Spooky! Glad everybody is OK! I would definitely be talking with Remington, and I am very anxious to hear their reaction!!!

I'm calling them Monday.

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a teenager camping in Arizona's White mountains I was struck by lightning. I had been shooting 22s earlier in the day and still had cartridges in my left front pocket. They all exploded from either the heat or electricity. The brass split open and the lead bullets stayed in my pocket. Almost killed me and put me in the hospital for two weeks. Took several months to recuperate. I do not recommend trying this.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Certainly inform Remington of the issue

don’t toss the ammo
Seal the bucket and mark what the issue was so it’s not used

someone may want to do some testing

Latest posts

Top Bottom