Ever seen scrapes this early?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
E380FA93-794A-4138-BC31-388D07C374D6.jpeg
I tended to my feeders today, and put up some new blind material around a couple of my stands. When driving the field edge to one of my feeders, I was shocked to find a scrape. Then even more shocked to find a scrape line. 4 scrapes in total along this one field edge. One was soaked with fresh urine. I pulled my camera cards and when I got home, I was surprised to see two mature bucks fighting. Horns locked and all.

I have never seen scrapes and fighting this early. You?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen scrapes this early. Can’t say I’ve seen any in big fights. The young bucks push each other around all the time. Does as well.
They fight over premium food territory.
Wife feeds up to 14 does and some random bucks in our front yard for years. If she doesn’t put the corn out in little piles all over the place they will fight over it. When two are fighting, another will sneak into the corn pile.
It’s pretty funny to watch them sometimes but it does bring out that saying in the animal world that only the fittest survive. The dominate does take over the piles even running their own fawns off.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen scrapes this early. Can’t say I’ve seen any in big fights. The young bucks push each other around all the time. Does as well.
They fight over premium food territory.
Wife feeds up to 14 does and some random bucks in our front yard for years. If she doesn’t put the corn out in little piles all over the place they will fight over it. When two are fighting, another will sneak into the corn pile.
It’s pretty funny to watch them sometimes but it does bring out that saying in the animal world that only the fittest survive. The dominate does take over the piles even running their own fawns off.

Can I borrow your front porch Oct. 1st for about an hour after she puts the piles out?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can I borrow your front porch Oct. 1st for about an hour after she puts the piles out?

It won’t take that long. She walks out there with the feed bucket and they stand there until she gets their corn out. As soon as she turns her back to them, they rush the food piles. Fun to watch.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 124251 I tended to my feeders today, and put up some new blind material around a couple of my stands. When driving the field edge to one of my feeders, I was shocked to find a scrape. Then even more shocked to find a scrape line. 4 scrapes in total along this one field edge. One was soaked with fresh urine. I pulled my camera cards and when I got home, I was surprised to see two mature bucks fighting. Horns locked and all.

I have never seen scrapes and fighting this early. You?
Forget the blind material, hang this up...
www.hdmagazine.it_wp_content_uploads_the_blue_oyster.jpg

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll certainly do that when we get back home. It may be a bit later in the year. The acorns/persimmons are starting to drop, and they won't be back until they clean up their favorite browse.
When you get back, eh? Would you mind PM'ing me your address and how long you're gone? It's for...research purposes. I'm researching the taste of venison.

Latest posts

Top Bottom