Every cop's nightmare...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when this happened. I don't generally like to armchair quarterback but that Troop shouldn't have approached that guy in the open like that. He's lucky he only caught one in the arm. The aircrew even warned him several times the dude was reaching under the floor. Really poor tactics and it almost cost him dearly.

ETA: I posted this before I read Aries' question. It's a valid question and poses a really good opportunity to learn from his mistakes.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At some point you'd think they would allow police helos to be able to engage high speed vehicles. Couldn't ask for a safer angle to shoot but straight down into a vehicle. Just like they do hogs on helo hunts.
It would solve some problems for sure. Friend of mine, DPS Trooper in TX, was a sniper for the Coast Guard's HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron). His job was to take out the motors of fast boats from a helicopter as they tried to evade the helicopter. Hands down the best marksman I've ever known and not with just a rifle. He could have taken that guy out without a thought.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would solve some problems for sure. Friend of mine, DPS Trooper in TX, was a sniper for the Coast Guard's HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron). His job was to take out the motors of fast boats from a helicopter as they tried to evade the helicopter. Hands down the best marksman I've ever known and not with just a rifle. He could have taken that guy out without a thought.

Yeah, you're average cop is NOT a gun guy. Usually the only firearm "training" they get is on the range once a year during annual requals. Most LEOs don't even carry a weapon off duty.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, you're average cop is NOT a gun guy. Usually the only firearm "training" they get is on the range once a year during annual requals. Most LEOs don't even carry a weapon off duty.
Yep, damn sad too isn't it.

Part of the problem, at least when it comes to quals and training, is agency budgets. Most departments can barely afford to send their officers to the yearly state required classes let alone anything extra, like say ammo so they can get out on the range.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's awesome !

jhb33rd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I wouldn't be a Cop now a days for it. I got out of Law enforcement in 1998 after 14 years, when there was still a little bit of respect, no video camera's and 2 pound Streamlights. Transitioned from Wheel Guns and Loops to the Semi Autos and Mag Pouches. From the Patent Leather Sam Browns to Webbing. We were taught Pain Compliance and do what ever it takes to go home after your shift, and we did.

Today....... people don't have any respect for themselves, much less anyone else, especially the Police. It seams like all they want is that 60 seconds of fame and don't care about the consequences....... Death or Jail, whatever.........Look Mom...... I'm on Youtube and I got 1,000,000 views.

To all of the Police Officers working out there today, you have my greatest respect. Now it seams every Cop has to be prepared for a war zone every time he steps out on the street..... I don't care if your a Small Town Cop, a County Deputy, a Big City Cop or a State Trooper, it seams like you can never relax while on duty or off. Nothing like the old days when it was fun and your dept was family.

What a sad thing this world has come to.....

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, damn sad too isn't it.

Part of the problem, at least when it comes to quals and training, is agency budgets. Most departments can barely afford to send their officers to the yearly state required classes let alone anything extra, like say ammo so they can get out on the range.

I would say 75% of firearm training I've received, I paid for out of my own pocket. I knew my agency wouldn't pay for it and I wasn't gonna just be satisfied with what CLEET "taught" me, which was basically firearm nomenclature, presentation, grip, stance, breath control and marksmanship, which incidentally goes out the window during an armed encounter. So I started attending Paul Abel's (RIP) range and learned how to fight, not shoot.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say 75% of firearm training I've received, I paid for out of my own pocket. I knew my agency wouldn't pay for it and I wasn't gonna just be satisfied with what CLEET "taught" me, which was basically firearm nomenclature, presentation, grip, stance, breath control and marksmanship, which incidentally goes out the window during an armed encounter. So I started attending Paul Abel's (RIP) range and learned how to fight, not shoot.
Good job, my compliments!

Latest posts

Top Bottom