Executions, old school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I 100% agree that some folks need killing. But I have changed 180 degrees in my stance on capitol punishment. I do not trust the state to prosecute and execute anyone fairly or effectively. Yes, there are loads of instances where some POS ought to die. I just don't like the state having that authority.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I 100% agree that some folks need killing. But I have changed 180 degrees in my stance on capitol punishment. I do not trust the state to prosecute and execute anyone fairly or effectively. Yes, there are loads of instances where some POS ought to die. I just don't like the state having that authority.

If not the state, then who?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If not the state, then who?

Then incarceration. It's not ideal - ideal would be 100% certainty, then turn offender over to the family.

When you have prosecutors like we had in Ada, DNA experts like we had in OKC, and a sheriff's dept like we have in several counties - I trust no one to objectively find the truth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I saw a TV show that showed an "automated" firing squad from the late 1800s or early 1900s. The executee would go into a room and sit on a chair that was connected to the triggers of the rifle(s) by a series of levers or cables, so the act of sitting would trip the triggers. It seems like a western state (maybe Utah?) authorized its use, but I don't recall if it was ever used for an execution.
Interesting concept.
If the person being executed could spend their last week with my ex wife, they would gladly pull a rope voluntarily to trigger the firearms.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then incarceration. It's not ideal - ideal would be 100% certainty, then turn offender over to the family.

When you have prosecutors like we had in Ada, DNA experts like we had in OKC, and a sheriff's dept like we have in several counties - I trust no one to objectively find the truth.

What happened in Ada?

Turning the offenders over to the victims family could cause problems. (If I understand you correctly) I’m sure there are some that would be more than happy to avenge their loved ones, but with others, there could be other issues. Moral, legal, religious, fear of retaliation from the offenders family, etc. What would happen if there were no surviving family members?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened in Ada?

Turning the offenders over to the victims family could cause problems. (If I understand you correctly) I’m sure there are some that would be more than happy to avenge their loved ones, but with others, there could be other issues. Moral, legal, religious, fear of retaliation from the offenders family, etc. What would happen if there were no surviving family members?

"Ideally" victims' families could exact justice.

Realistically, we should house them, since the state has A. proven it is inept, B. proven many of it's actors are corrupt.

Do not confuse my distrust of the state and its employees with a softhearted response to criminals.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm ok with the death penalty with forensic evidence along witness account or admission of guilt. I'm in favor of any method, I'm not in favor of them sitting on death row for years after convention, they just need to do the deed and be done. It's like dumping money into a car that sits in the garage knowing in a couple of years it's going to the crusher.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also a proponent of the death penalty, but only if used as a deterrent. Should be done in a public forum, shown on tv, and set up for the maximum number of people to attend and watch. I would also consider making it mandatory to be shown in high schools, and for high school student attendance if the execution is within the same city or town.
As for sitting on death row, the appeal process should be limited to one year. With both State and any Federal constitutional issues being decided at the same time, with opinions from both courts being decided and published within that one year period. I would also do away with any immuniites for police, prosecutors and judges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom