Expensive M1911's worth it ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a series 70 Colt that I paid $600 for probably 15 years ago that shot ok but it needed trigger work so a few years ago I sent it to Terry Tussey and had a few things done like a reliability job, trigger, checkering, and a re-blue. About $1200 worth anyway. I got it back and wasn't real happy with it so he got it back. It was better when I got it back but still wasn't worth the money I spent. I've got a series 70 Commander that is box stock that out shoots it. So I don't think I would spend that kind of money on one. I think a lot of it is '' Look at what I got'' type stuff like a high dollar boat or car or truck.

i agree with your "look at what i got", but my acquisitions come from a "someday, i will get one of those", and rejoice when i accomplish those goals. i usually don't share here or anywhere else when i accomplish one of those goals, there are only a handful of members here who give a crap anyway, when i do get the next grail gun on my list i likely won't post about it or provide photos. i have 1911's from Norincos to Nighthawks, they all have value to me beyond their market place value. finishing my list of wants, and tinkering with them, is just about all that keeps me going now. i resent not being able to go shoot them, so now they are prizes (to me) that sit unused.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom Line: Your money, spend it on WHAT YOU LIKE and WANT!!! I do know what you mean by the "expensive" purchase.

I have rolled it around on "time pieces"/wrist watches, bourbon/American whiskey, Cuban cigars and other such items.

I have 4 Colt series 70 MKIV-1911's....in excellent condition and with their boxes. I quit shooting them and my 2nd & 3rd gen Colt SAA.

Now I purchase Cimarron/Taylor for SAA to shoot and I have been purchasing ....well now it's 2 and I'll probably get one more..

Auto-Ordnance GI Style 1911. I LOVE a simple, low sights, basic 1911 profile. These ARE NOT race, competition, nor "quality"guns... like the ones you mentioned. I use it as a shooter, American made-Kahr purchased them a while back and improved Auto-Ordnance 1911's.

Just a shooter...if I want to invest(I won't) in it I can. When it wears out I'll probably throw it in the pond and shoot the same AO I bought and keep going. **Just me...my 2cents... I don't purchase fancy/quality guns anymore.** I keep the ones I have and sometimes take them out to shoot or hunt with(rifles)...but I purchase fun guns/shooters now. Don't get me wrong if I find a gun I want I'll probably get it...and put it away for another time and use the shooter in it's place.

Auto-Ordnance: https://www.auto-ordnance.com/auto-ordnance-1911-pistol/

My shooter 1911's. I can't stand a lanyard loop so I have replace the mainspring housing. I LOVE the original/low profile sights!!!

This is a tight gun with NO RATTLES....hard to believe isn't it..:hey3:

SVimg-1911BKOWMA__44286.1515511897.jpg

Last edited:

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can buy a $3000.00 gun for say $1750.00 or close to that I would say yes it would be worth it.If it was $2000.00 and in really good condition I would still buy it.Over that I would probably pass.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the average Joe could not tell the difference. Is it worth the price difference, IMO yes. I guess it's pride of ownership. If you don't get in a hurry, you can find those high end 1911's for a good price.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lasher subtle or otherwise I was not attempting to put down anyone down nor was my post directed at any particular person about how they do or don't spend their money......it's funny how sometimes things can be read between the lines of a persons post if one looks hard enough.

Since I know the whereabouts of a low mileage tricked out Les Baer that is available the sole purpose of my post was to get opinions on weather or not, with me being just a casual M1911 plinker, if I should consider spending the money.

Now if y'all will excuse me I'm going to go hop in my car and make a quick run to Homeland. :)

View attachment 136863

if you want it, and have the loot to get it, those are my criteria these days. the baer will serve you well for years and years before it requires any service. and i mean it will take thousands of rounds for the baer to totally settle in. baer builds a fine pistol.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lasher subtle or otherwise I was not attempting to put down anyone down nor was my post directed at any particular person about how they do or don't spend their money......it's funny how sometimes things can be read between the lines of a persons post if one looks hard enough.

Since I know the whereabouts of a low mileage tricked out Les Baer that is available the sole purpose of my post was to get opinions on weather or not, with me being just a casual M1911 plinker, if I should consider spending the money.

Now if y'all will excuse me I'm going to go hop in my car and make a quick run to Homeland. :)

View attachment 136863
Man that is a sweet ride !!!:cool:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea no palm trees here that look like that.
I had a pinto and loved it. Would beat up on chevy trucks.
355 gears and 4 speed big exhaust and recurved distributor and big 2 barrel.

Now average joe..I may not be him..I may be below average because I want cheap and accurate and reliable.
names do not matter looks do not matter weight not an issue because I do not carry unless I am hunting.

My 45acp both of them are HI-Points.
Buddy has a Kimber Custom II 45 and it was finicky!
I fixed the thing .. Kimber stamped the barrel above the chamber and this made a tight spot in the chamber.
Honed it out all good. Seems many Kimbers are tight there.

Is it accurate yes is it more accurate than my HI-Point NO.
Does it have 500 rounds down the barrel ? NO does my 45 ? yes and about 4 times that and no issues.
Took a deer at 45 paces with my Hi-Point pistol.
Bang flop.
That is all I need.

Get what you like or what you need..I needed a 45. Hog hunting back up, needed a barrel length that was legal for deer also.
I liked my first 45 Hi-Point so much I got another one here from a member.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its even in the special edition Pinto Bean Brown.

As for the 45s if you have the money to buy a 3k pistol and do more work on it. More power to you. I never begrudge a guy that has more money than me. If I was rich I would do whatever I wanted.

I used to fish a lot and I always bought rods in the $150-$250 range. I have a bunch of them. I found that I could easily tell the difference in a $100 rod and a $200 rod. Not so much for a $350-$500 rod. Heck there are guys with boats full of Japanese Rods that are over a grand each. For me I bought what was in my budget that I felt I was good enough to use. Guns are a little different but I would imagine if I was to use a gun there comes a point where I will never be able to shoot as good as the gun is and I would probably stop there.

Last edited:

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once your able to afford quality it's hard to go back to just average.A person doesn't need to have all expensive stuff but its nice to have some expensive stuff whether its guns,knives or fishing poles.I kind of look at it like there is a 50/50 chance you will be divorced or possibly dead in the next 10 years so you might as well enjoy some of the nicer things in life while you can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom