Experience with packsaddle wma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m wanting to get away for a few days. Figure I would use the time to go try my hand at shooting some predators, fishing, and camping. Figured I would change things up, go somewhere I haven’t been before. So I’m thinking packsaddle wma. Anyone have any experience with the place, for example, is there typically people there, or is it a place I can have some privacy and avoid human contact for a day or two? I really dislike running into people while hunting, camping, or otherwise.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't been to either of those, but usually hunt black kettle. I've been out there and not seen another soul for days after deer season. Probably going to be desolate until turkey season.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe both Sandy Sanders and Packsaddle would fit your needs. I’ve been to both and they are quite different terrains. I would suggest looking at the aerials and contacting the biologist with suggestions on how to avoid folks and what you am want to do. Great country and you are making me want to do something similsr

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contact the biologist like Toothpick mentioned. I am not sure that you can just set up camp wherever you want.

Sandy Sanders does have cattle grazing leases on some of it for part of the year. I haven't spent any time on Packsaddle.

Pick up a copy of the Hunting/Fishing regulations (free) to read the rules for the different WMA's.

Can't shoot hogs at SS.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't been to either of those, but usually hunt black kettle. I've been out there and not seen another soul for days after deer season. Probably going to be desolate until turkey season.
I didn’t realize black kettle was more or less on the way to packsaddle. Looks like I’ll have two wmas to choose from, which is what I prefer to do anyways.
I believe both Sandy Sanders and Packsaddle would fit your needs. I’ve been to both and they are quite different terrains. I would suggest looking at the aerials and contacting the biologist with suggestions on how to avoid folks and what you am want to do. Great country and you are making me want to do something similsr
Yeah, I’ve been doing my google maps scouting for a few days now. It reminds me how there’s no substitute for walking it yourself, but I at least have a campsite picked out and a couple areas of interest. I haven’t thought of getting in touch with the biologist, but I’ve largely written it off, as I’m 0/3 on callbacks from biologists in the last year or two. I’ll give it another try though.
Contact the biologist like Toothpick mentioned. I am not sure that you can just set up camp wherever you want.

Sandy Sanders does have cattle grazing leases on some of it for part of the year. I haven't spent any time on Packsaddle.

Pick up a copy of the Hunting/Fishing regulations (free) to read the rules for the different WMA's.

Can't shoot hogs at SS.
Both WMAs have several designated camping areas, and black kettle allows you to essentially camp anywhere you want.
I saw that about sandy sanders. Had totally forgotten. I would like to harvest a pig or two if given the chance, would hate to have to pass on a shot due to the Regs. It may be a quick stop on my way back home maybe, rather than the place I stay the majority of the time.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Pac and as PBramble said, Black Kettle. Avoid turkey season and any of them should be empty until turkey season.
I am woefully unfamiliar with public land on that side of the state, I had no idea that pack and kettle were so close. It’s definitely on the list.
Don’t think you’ll see many folks at either location. Might consider Mountain Park WMA as well. It borders Tom Steed lake which is good for fishing.
I’ve never been there, may have to give it a shot.
Packsaddle will be void of humans until turkey season. Beautiful country and it's always uphill no mater where you're at lol.
Looking at topographical maps I came to the same conclusion. I’m already dreading it, have already changed packs, and am already looking for ways to cut down on carried weight.
On the other hand, the extra exertion is a good thing, as I need to cut down on the carried weight on my body.

Latest posts

Top Bottom