Explain this please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes it look easy
It works great until you get into some of the old Eastern European ammo where I swear they shellacked the rounds on pistol bullets before seating them.
I have some .45 acp bullets that a kenetic nor a collet puller can dislodge. I’ve put enough pressure on the collet to create a step in the bullet and it still won’t come out.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Revisited these reloads tonight…

Broke down 10 more tonight with the good ol hammer puller. Perfected my motion and got 10 bullets pulled somewhat fast. I have another 49 to pull, not looking forward to it but I don’t want to buy a collet puller yet. I tried seating the bullet deeper on a few because I read that breaks the crimp and well… either the load is definitely compressed or it’s the toughest crimp ever. I could not get the bullet to seat any deeper. I am certainly glad I didn’t shoot these.

Peeled off the athletic tape that had the supposed load sharpied on it and this was behind the tape. If these reloads were close to the date written on this sticker then they are older than me by over a decade.

F54ED72B-B631-45BA-A377-1AD827EAEEF6.jpeg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you are assuming way too much. The tape was probably there for a reason as in that load was no longer in the box.

That is what I would do. Cover up the old deceased load with tape or another label.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After removing a bullet and powder you could place the powder back into the case and see how close it is to the bullet if the bullet were placed back in.
Measuring stuff of course.
Severely compressed loads will actually push the bullet back up after you seat it.
Seen it more than once.
But that was in a rifle not a pistol load that may have a heavy crimp.

I do not have any compressed pistol loads.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well I did the other 49 tonight. Most of them were a one wack and the bullet fell out. I was pretty happy about that but was curious as to why they came out so easy so I inspected all 49 cases and 30 had pretty severe cracks. I think the cracks may have been the culprit for why they were so easy to pull.

Out of all the 41mag reloads I pulled; total I have 53 good useable primed cases, 68 - 170grain bullets, and 10 - 210grain bullets.

I damaged a few bullets using the press and plier method. All in all I’m pretty happy.

I do believe the load on the tape was what it said it was but in my opinion it was to risky for me… especially since I had a lot of cases with cracks.

Time to go to the drawing board on making a good 41mag reload. Got 53 almost free trigger pulls to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom